skyway sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryv

Reaction score
a while back there was a post about this slider and frame breakage in a go down. there was also a reply from skyway that there was a redesign in the making. maybe skyway can post an update on this.

i am now more concerned about frame damage in a go down than plactic damage. maybe i will take them off until there is a modification or replacement for them.

Welcome to the forum.

First - maybe you should try out the search function, try +sliders +frame - ah, heck, here's the link: Sliders and frame damage :blink: Please read it all the way through - it's quite entertaining and informative.

Personally, I have the Skyway's on my bike - my 06, and I've dropped her on BOTH sides. The sliders did as they were supposed to and saved me from about 1500 bucks in plastic damage. And I'm not replacing them with the delrin, because if I drop my bike at 15 mph, I've got other things to worry about than frame damage.

Like my skin. Gee - at the risk of starting a whole nudder thread, do you practice ATGATT?

So - the consensous on this forum is that they work as they are supposed to. IMHO, put on the Skyway sliders, save the plastic.

Unless you're not planning on dropping her? :huh:

By the way - why don't you visit the new members section, and post an introduction about yourself - Let the folks say "hello" to ya.

;)

I was the guy that started the post. I offer the following purely as information and with no desire to revisit the the drama of the debate.

The actual damage to the frame proved to be minor in the sense that a small piece of material was broken off around the attachment point. The fracture line was above/at the point that the engine bolt screws through the frame.

I had the frame looked at by two different mechanics but did not have it fluxed. Neither found any signs of stress or cracking.

The skyway slider bolt stripped out. I was subsequently able to retorque both the stock engine bolt and later, the bolt that comes with the Motivation Slider (Delrin) that I bought in replacement of the skyways. I have no explanation as to why the bolt stripped and why the other bolts torque up.

I have since put 2000 hard riding miles on the bike and there are no signs of stress to the frame spar. The engine bolt is still torqued to spec.

There are at least two companies out there that make Delrin sliders for the 2006

Those are the facts (kind of sounds like Kevin Bacon in A Few Good Men). YMMV