Slider questions for my Gen I and those for Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
I have these sliders on my '04 Gen I

they go through a hole drilled in the side tupperware:

3135970143_7c1c57cbb2.jpg

my question is...if I want to install bigger/longer sliders purchased for Gen II (no brackets),

can I assume they will bolt right up to what I have replacing the current slider and bolt with no real modification ???

Is is obvious what brand/make slider I have now ???

I've seen Gen I "no cut" sliders with the brackets ($100 !!!) and haven't seen what looks like what I have.

TIA

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
Those aren't sliders, they're tip over guards, two different animals. TOG's, not good above 0 mph.

Scope this thread for a good alternative.

can I assume they will bolt right up to what I have replacing the current slider and bolt with no real modification ???
No. They are supposed to attach to the lower motor mount bolt. You'd have to cut another hole in your fairing for Gen II sliders to fit. Again, I'd wait to see how this crash bar thing pans out. If they'll fit Gen I's, they'll also require some drilling through plastic, but will provide much better protection. Or, if you don't want to go that route, I'll have a set of un-used (God willing) no-cut Motovation sliders for sale....

Hey, Mike, those go into a bolt hole that's normally used to just mount the fairing. Like Toe said, they're just for parking drops, and maybe not too good at that.

I've got the R&G sliders on my '03, and while you have to put a hole in the fairing for them, I think that's a much stronger alternative than the bracket-mounted ones that are "no-cut" for Gen-I. (That's just me thinking, I've never actually seen any.) As for putting a hole in the fairing, so what? It's covered up by the slider.

DSC_0011.jpg

Here's a slightly-used one. You can see that even though the pavement got to the stator cover very slightly, the fairing is undamaged.

DSC_0010.jpg

Just using a Gen II slider may fit differently, as the thick diameter part of the slider may have to go into the fairing, resulting in a larger (and not hidden) hole in the plastic. I don't know where the slider turns down from the main body to the blots sleeve.The no-cut sliders for Gen-I bikes use a bracket to put the slider in the fairing slot, which is what Toecutter has offered to sell you.

Looks like he's sufferin from a small one............ lots of help

around here to get that fix'd......... :p :lol:

B.

... it's odots B-day today.... maybe he'd stretch it for ya.............