Sliders: Aluminum, Delrin... does it matter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
I think I'm becoming obessessed with farkling. After searching and reading it seems most here use the Skyway sliders instead of the Motovation sliders. Skyway makes them out of aluminum or delrin. Is it correct to assume that if the bikes goes over that it doesn't matter the type of metal used to make the slider?

And Motovation sliders are made out of nylon, which they claim, is a better material.

https://www.motovationusa.com/index_MVdiff.htm

For looks I like Skyway's aluminum sliders.

Are there any engineers here that can comment? Aluminum, delrin, nylon?

Last edited by a moderator:
A looooong time ago, when they were first made available, there was a lengthy discussion and debate about the aluminum as a slider material.

IIRC, some were of the mind that aluminum, being very soft, might "dig in" to pavement and thus cause more problems because of that. Their position is that Delrin/nylon/etc. would slide easier and allow the bike to come to an more gentle sliding stop.

What's best? Don't fall over while riding.

That makes sense. Thanks! I just ordered the Motovation sliders. Maybe I'll paint them as someone else on this forum already has done.

This is my first farkle order. Do I get a reward?

Here's your reward: :thumbsup:

And for SLIDERS being your first farkle: :eek:k:

Welcome to the dark-side (buying motorcycle accessories)...I hope your wallet/credit card survives. :lol:

Here's your reward: :thumbsup: And for SLIDERS being your first farkle: :eek:k:

Welcome to the dark-side (buying motorcycle accessories)...I hope your wallet/credit card survives. :lol:
The first farkle is the hardest. After that the packages just come in the mail on a weekly basis and the significant other just rolls her eyes. Enjoy.

[quote Welcome to the dark-side (buying motorcycle accessories)...I hope your wallet/credit card survives. :lol: .... After that the packages just come in the mail on a weekly basis and the significant other just rolls her eyes. Enjoy.

Yeah I got mine April 26, a couple of weeks later the UPS guy just stopped in at work every few days to drop off another package. I did include the better half in some of the decisions, made opening the packages much more enjoyable. I got the Delrins as they sacrificed themselves very well on my FZ a couple of years ago when I needed them to do their job.

May as well call now and get your credit limit raised....

That makes sense. Thanks! I just ordered the Motovation sliders. Maybe I'll paint them as someone else on this forum already has done.
This is my first farkle order. Do I get a reward?
CRMH:

Painting Delrin can be a challenge. If they are offered molded in color make sure you get that specified in your order rather than dealing with paint.

You asked earlier in this thread about Nylon. Delrin is a close chemical cousin to Nylon. Either should work in this application. Good luck with your farkling!

Dave

Here's your reward: :thumbsup: And for SLIDERS being your first farkle: :eek:k:

The first farkle is the hardest. After that the packages just come in the mail on a weekly basis and the significant other just rolls her eyes. Enjoy.
Motovation Sliders! I've tested them in a tip over & a crash...did their job & held up so well they will be on my new 08!

Shoot.... I order sooo much stuff that Vinnie (my UPS delivery man) & I know each other by name & he even stops by a second time in one day if he misses me in the morning!

That will piss off any wife!

crashclub.gif
NEW MEMBER!

Well, I've tested derlin... two times... and they worked great both times!

No frame damage, minimal bike damage, well until it hit the tree, but that kinda wasn't the frame sliders fault....

You may want to dip into the historical documents and read this thread which involves metal vs Delrin sliders. This is a 'gateway' thread with several other offshoots that continue the slider discussion. Over all, the consensus is that metal sliders impart more impact energy into the frame than a softer material would. This thread was started when camera56s slider actually broke the frame.