Sliders and Air Flow

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnTC40

Reaction score
I searched the forum for info on this and found nothing, so here goes. Got some Motovation sliders for XMAS and was wondering about the effect these have on air flow around the bike. I know from experimenting with other bikes that even seemingly minor changes at the front or sides of the bike can have a significant effect on air flow, i.e., increasing updrafts, buffeting, dirtying up the air, etc. The aerodynamics of my bike are more or less perfect as is (except with the backrest or top box and no passenger on the pillion), which is why I bought it in the first place. That said, I'm loathe to change or install anything that will impact the air flow. I know many of you use sliders, so I am wondering if you noticed any significant change in the air flow after installing them?

Find your local wind tunnel and check it out and report your findings back for the rest of us. :)

Find your local wind tunnel and check it out and report your findings back for the rest of us. :)
Gunny.

If it concerns you that much...you're on the hook to research and report empirical data. By reference....I have two frickin' giant FF200's up front and still managed a 152 with and without.

I'm still waiting to get the data back on the turbulence created by two Powerlets. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sliders aren't designed considering airflow.

They're designed considering asphalt.

If you will absolutely never, ever, ever drop your bike, then forgo the sliders.

Merry Christmas !

No dog piling on Christmas! No matter how well deserved........ :ph34r:

I checked the rules and Santa along with the forum guidelines do not forbid dogpiles on Christmas. :p

I find it hard to belive that the grand post miester is speachless. :clapping: :eek:

As Steve Martin would say, well, excuuuse me! I thought mine was a reasonable question, not warranting the kind of crap one would expect on a Harley forum. I guess I didn't realize there were a lot of expert bad boy biker comedians on here as well. Please feel free to close this thread, Ignacio. Lesson learned.

As Steve Martin would say, well, excuuuse me! I thought mine was a reasonable question, not warranting the kind of crap one would expect on a Harley forum. I guess I didn't realize there were a lot of expert bad boy biker comedians on here as well. Please feel free to close this thread, Ignacio. Lesson learned.
Now don't go gettin' all sentimental, John. Most of us have taken a few lumps on this here website. Fact is, I have sliders on my FJR, and then attached some big-ass folding highway pegs on 'em. I can't tell a bit of difference with the aerodynamics. Have a Happy Holiday. Phil

....and the war between washington and kalifornia escalated.......more news to come.

To answer your question..... I find the sliders do not affect the air flow around the bike.

I do find them excelent if you think you might be sliding your bike along on it's side. Or even you are not going to..... I think they look cool!

You have to weight the good with the bad!

Your question was very reasonable and the first answers were reasonable. Then it might have gone downhill a little.

It might be unreasonable to think that two small pieces of plastic would have an adverse effect on airflow when compared to arms ,legs, helmet and whatever other crap may be hanging out in the wind.

To compare the members of such a fine forum with Harley folks is for sure unreasonable!!! :)

I added Motovation sliders to my '05. I didn't expect or detect any noticeable change in air flow. However I'm sure that in a tip over they will contribute to maintaining the aerodynamics. :D

Question for John:

If it was perceived that the Motovation sliders did disturb the airflow, would that prevent you from putting them on?

Personally.....I think you are getting lost in the detail. Put 'em on...ride. No airflow disturbance. Period. (I have a set)

I'd say that, compared to sliders, there would be a LOT more disturbance changing to a Cal Sci XL screen from a stock one, and I didn't notice anything upsetting even at 3 digit speed.

I'd say worry less and ride more. And with some skill, dedication, and perseverence you won't need to test those sliders for their intended use.

Shrug off that pile, it will be someone else's turn some day... :rolleyes:

I have Motovation sliders on my '06. First add-on I bought.

Never affected my handling or ability to go fast, but sure saved the day when the side-stand slowly retracted while my engine was warming up on my driveway one day!