sliders vs highway pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
please tell me if this has been discussed previously and i'll research, but can a slider also double as a highway peg? more specifically.. .i saw these on a recent post https://skywaymotorcycleaccessories.com/sto...mSliderKit.html can those double as foot rests? or are they too small or the angle around the engine too difficult?
Skyway makes a nice product. Most sliders don't work well for hi-way pegs because getting your leg over the fairing doesn't allow an angle that easily allows you to rest your foot on the slider, which is a little short, and smooth, to keep your foot on. I have R&G sliders and strongly recommend sliders of your choice to help protect your bike from increased damage in the event of a go down, as well as increased likelyhood of you being able to pick the bike up and ride it home if you do ok on the go down. I've BTDT and ridden home. W/O the sliders and Bike Johnny engine armor, I would have had a very expensive U-haul rental for the 850 mile trip home instead of just a cold ride w/o a shield or mirrors. (do a search on 'pavement surfing' if you want to see my pics.)

I'm not positive if Wild Bill's hi-way pegs work on the '06-07 bikes, but you might want to check on that. Search first, to see what they look like and if that's something you feel will work for you.

Contact info from my receipt -

WILLIAM RILEY

11239 DELANO STREET

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA 91606

818-487-9313 e-mail: Wild Bill

please tell me if this has been discussed previously and i'll research, but can a slider also double as a highway peg? more specifically.. .i saw these on a recent post https://skywaymotorcycleaccessories.com/sto...mSliderKit.html can those double as foot rests? or are they too small or the angle around the engine too difficult?
Skyway makes a nice product. Most sliders don't work well for hi-way pegs because getting your leg over the fairing doesn't allow an angle that easily allows you to rest your foot on the slider, which is a little short, and smooth, to keep your foot on. I have R&G sliders and strongly recommend sliders of your choice to help protect your bike from increased damage in the event of a go down, as well as increased likelyhood of you being able to pick the bike up and ride it home if you do ok on the go down. I've BTDT and ridden home. W/O the sliders and Bike Johnny engine armor, I would have had a very expensive U-haul rental for the 850 mile trip home instead of just a cold ride w/o a shield or mirrors. (do a search on 'pavement surfing' if you want to see my pics.)

I'm not positive if Wild Bill's hi-way pegs work on the '06-07 bikes, but you might want to check on that. Search first, to see what they look like and if that's something you feel will work for you.

Contact info from my receipt -

WILLIAM RILEY

11239 DELANO STREET

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA 91606

818-487-9313 e-mail: Wild Bill

call me a big dumby... i am searching and even using advanced search typing "pavement surfing" and putting your username in the other field... can't seem to find it.

I don't think you'd want to use something that has been compromised to fit both purposes.....then again used bodywork is getting cheaper ;) .....

call me a big dumby... i am searching and even using advanced search typing "pavement surfing" and putting your username in the other field... can't seem to find it.
You're not dumb, I can't find it any more either. :unsure: It used to come right up. The slider was ground down to the bolt head, the bolts were bent, the engine armor was ground all the way through, and the paint skimmed off the stator cover, but no leaks. The Wild bill hiway peg mounts were bent, and the bolts for them bent, but only a few drops of leakage due to loose bolts, no damage due to the hiway peg mounts in my crash.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the delayed responce, I was out moto-camping for the last few days.

IMHO - Wild Bill's bracket with KuryAkyn sp? pegs are the way to go. Fairlaner has a set of pegs that screw into the sliders but for me these are too high up. It's a matter of choice. I like having my legs and feet as low as possible to the ground. The Wild Bills/KA setup does this, although you do have to remember to kick the pegs up when ever the twisties arrive..

ok already i am hereMine are held in the slider by a set screw, i like them they are a bit high but i am used to them.

If you drag these in the twisties you are in big trouble.

I think my setup in an 06 slider would work good as they are lower. Hal (Kaitsdad) has a pair made for Ian's sliders, both of these were made by Ron Sampson.

Link to his website is here

I could not find them on the site, just give him a call and he will sort you out.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator: