Slippery Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtyo

Reaction score
A friend has just received a Rick Mayer seat for his 2006 FJR, covered in the basket weave material and we both have found it to be very slippery. Has any one else noticed this, or have an opinion? It's slippery to the point of being dangerous - any kind of deceleration or braking causes the rider to ride up onto the tank - all you can do is brace yourself with your arms on the bars, which makes control a bit more difficult :blink: . It even feels slick to the touch. It doesn't matter if you're wearing riding pants or jeans - it's almost like there's a mold-release residue (if you know what I'm talking about), but he washed the seat with a detergent with no improvement. He tried calling the shop but it seems to be closed today. Just wondering if the basket weave tends to be more slippery than other surfaces. Thanks for any feedback.

Dan

I found my first seat delivery (leather) made me slide way more than I wanted or expected compared to stock. But, I thought it had more to do with the shape and angle that Rick had chosen. After my second adjustement I'm finally happy with it. I specifically asked for more butt indention and don't slide anymore.

MW200518b.JPG

If it's leather clad, condition it with Lexol once or so a month. Helps with the slip if it's a problem.
I did....and do.

Regardless, I think the first iteration and to a smaller extent the second wasn't shaped quite right. I'm quite happy with the third when I got Rick to give it "the Ironbutt treatment".

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the basketweave on my Rick Mayer seat and I don't notice it being slippery. Perhaps more slippery than the stock seat material, but not an issue. What was an issue, was that the seat still sloped forward. This caused the problems you describe. I had to send it back to have him add more material in the front of the seat to stop the propensity to slide forward. Are you sure that's not the root cause?

There doesn't seem to be an issue with the contour, but it is possible. It really seems like the vinyl is hard - if you run your hand over the surface, there's almost no friction at all. I suppose the seating area could be dished out more and that would help from sliding forward, but it still seems like the material aught to have more grip. Unfortunately, we have a ride to Myrtle Beach coming up in May and there's a concern that they seat wouldn't be back in time - this has to be prime (busy) time for the shop. I was wondering if there was any kind of treatment that could be used to increase the grip - without using pitcher's rosin - sort of a reverse Armor All.

There doesn't seem to be an issue with the contour, but it is possible. It really seems like the vinyl is hard - if you run your hand over the surface, there's almost no friction at all. I suppose the seating area could be dished out more and that would help from sliding forward, but it still seems like the material aught to have more grip. Unfortunately, we have a ride to Myrtle Beach coming up in May and there's a concern that they seat wouldn't be back in time - this has to be prime (busy) time for the shop. I was wondering if there was any kind of treatment that could be used to increase the grip - without using pitcher's rosin - sort of a reverse Armor All.
It is more slippery than stock. When I first got it it seem to push me more forward but after 800 miles it seems to be setting in better.

I had the same problem with my Bill Mayer seat and it is even worse when the temperature drops. Check THIS THREAD HERE and there was some pretty good advice with a couple of other links thrown in for your reading enjoyment. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is a similar problem, and temperature may be a factor, but the difference is vinyl vs. leather. I would think that leather could be treated to soften it and improve grip but we haven't thought of anything to do the same to vinyl. The only idea I've had is to (very) slightly abraid the surface in order to get to (hopefully) a softer surface underneath. The same may come from normal use/wear, but there's no telling how long that might take and in the mean time, it's like riding on ice.

Right around the time my brother was going from married to single his (ex)wife, the dear, helped him by using this:

39354884.jpg

on his vinyl motorcycle seat :unsure: It was just about impossible to stay seated. This is one product that you for sure don't want to use on your seat.

A lot of people have been mentioning that they find their seats to be too slippery. What kind of gear are you wearing over your derriere? Anyone have pants that help stick to the seat?