Smokies Bound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Breeze

Reaction score
The wife and I are heading for E. Tenn. and the Smokies this Saturday. Trailering the bike there, but then riding for the week. It goes without saying that we will do the Dragon's Tail while there. This will be a first for us. Can't wait to get out there. The weather is cool and the bike in great shape. We plan on seeing Gatlinburg, Maryville, Johnson City, and Elizabethton. Meeting a buddy from Va. there. He is on a Harley. Let him try to keep up with The Breeze!

The wife and I are heading for E. Tenn. and the Smokies this Saturday. Trailering the bike there, but then riding for the week. It goes without saying that we will do the Dragon's Tail while there. This will be a first for us. Can't wait to get out there. The weather is cool and the bike in great shape. We plan on seeing Gatlinburg, Maryville, Johnson City, and Elizabethton. Meeting a buddy from Va. there. He is on a Harley. Let him try to keep up with The Breeze!
Unless you love being stuck in endless traffic, avoid Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg like the plague....especially over Labor Day weekend. The crowds will be stifling.

Also, 441 from Gatlinburg over to Cherokee will be very crowded. Avoid it as well.

Another nightmare area is Cades Cove....bumper to bumper all day long on weekends.

After Monday (Labor Day) things will calm down a lot. If you have to go to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg areas go after Monday.

Tail of the Dragon will be very crowded over the weekend as well. Same advice as above applies.

Also, don't miss the Cherohala Parkway while in the area of Deals Gap. The Dragon, Cherohala, TN360 to Vonore, then TN72 back to US129 (the Dragon) make a great loop. 123 miles of fun.

https://tinyurl.com/m7phqq

Enjoy your trip.

With the 30 mph speed limits and lots of state troopers the dragon's tail is a slow or maybe expensive ride any day of the week. I've seen heavy enforcement on all days during the week. I wouldn't speed much up there on 129 if you don't want a ticket, unmarked cars can sneak up on you while doing 45 to 50..... watch your mirrors and the other riders coming the other way. I've seen troopers warn people doing 40 mph on cruisers! So, be warned and not surprised if you get a yellow piece of paper to take home for 45 mph... It don't take much sometimes and others get away with 70 mph when they are busy... :whistle:

Check out Marion, Virgina if your up that way. Cheap hotels, no crowds and a great restaurant right down town. Great empty roads through farm country, haven't seen any 30 mph speed traps up there yet. 16 to Tazewell and then take all the county road off shoots.

Whats in Maryville, TN? Johnson City, TN? Whats the draw? I lived up there once in my life, been to Maryville a few times, what did I miss?

Last edited by a moderator: