Smoky Mountains and the Dragon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauden

Reaction score
A couple buds and I are heading to the Smokie Mountains the week of 14-20 May. :yahoo: This seems to be turning into an annual event. A K1200RS, ST1300 and my 05 FJR will be making the trek from the Philadelphia area, via the Blue Ridge Parkway and staying at either Kickstand or Punkin Center campgrounds (yes we still actively believe in and practice motorcycle camping!)

We obviously have rode the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway when down last year and plan to do it again this year. Any suggestions for other rides / venues / must see's would be greatly appreciated. :D

Exit the Blue Ridge Parkway around Boone, NC and take 421 thru Shady Valley. Turn around and run it again going back to the BRP. Many turns, new asphalt, not as crowded as the Dragon.

Try it. You'll like it.

A couple buds and I are heading to the Smokie Mountains the week of 14-20 May. :yahoo: This seems to be turning into an annual event. A K1200RS, ST1300 and my 05 FJR will be making the trek from the Philadelphia area, via the Blue Ridge Parkway and staying at either Kickstand or Punkin Center campgrounds (yes we still actively believe in and practice motorcycle camping!)
We obviously have rode the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway when down last year and plan to do it again this year. Any suggestions for other rides / venues / must see's would be greatly appreciated. :D
Mad Maps has great map of the area (Goes all the way from South of Deal's Gap up to Boone).

You can get them online www.madmaps.com or at some motorcycle stores.

The gas station at the bottom of Deal's Gap definitely carries them, I got mine there last year.

Have a great trip I'll be doing the same in mid June.

Chris

Exit the Blue Ridge Parkway around Boone, NC and take 421 thru Shady Valley. Turn around and run it again going back to the BRP. Many turns, new asphalt, not as crowded as the Dragon.
Try it. You'll like it.

Word. Guaranteed to not be sorry if you cruise this area... although, this area will be explored during EOM. Not so sure I'd get off @ Boone, though. I'd exit the BRP @ Rte 58 in Virginia & take it west to Rte 133 south (I think that it's Shady Valley Rd?) into Shady Valley. Rte 58 has some awesome curves! That area definitely deserves exploration.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a v-strom meet going on the same time you are going to be there. Lots of bikes at the dragon and area roads. Be careful. We went in march and camped at ironhorse. Had the place to ourselves. Our lil group loves to camp as well. Love it! Wish I could be there. Chris