So I cut my windshield down really low...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hughes

Reaction score
I bought a Yamaha Touring windshield for my 07 and found it a big improvement over the stock screen. I wanted to know just how different it was with my new Shoei X11 so I put the stock windshield back on the bike and went for a ride. It was much worse than the touring windshield for helmet noise with one exception. When I sit up straight (I have a very tall torso) and my head raised over the airstream it was quiet as a mouse. So I took it off and paid a glass shop $25 to cut it down to a point just below where it changes direction and picks up that little rib on the inside. This is really low. I also had them cut an arc from side to side to give me a rounded top instead of a flat top. Well it came out perfect, you would think that Yamaha made it this way. When I put it back on the bike it looks pretty cool too.

Now I know that "this thread is useless without pictures" so I will try to take some tomorrow when I get home from work. I will also take it for it's shake down ride and report back on how it works out. But so far I can tell you that it cuts well and looks good. See you tomorrow...

Bob, thanks for the idea. I look forward to hearing your report and your pictures.

Now I know that "this thread is useless without pictures" so I will try to take some tomorrow when I get home from work. I will also take it for it's shake down ride and report back on how it works out. But so far I can tell you that it cuts well and looks good. See you tomorrow...
Gunny!

Ping liquidsilver. IIRC, he cut his '04 shield down way back when. Did the same for his '05, too. I think he may even have some photos. Runs cooler in the summer, too.

Good on ya, but you ain't the first.

Wanna know what it's gonna be like?

Tell you what, anybody can do this. Get your FJR up to 40-60mph and stand up on the pegs. You will now be in clean air. Dramatic reduction in noise and turbulence.

Turbulent, dirty air (like the stuff that comes off the edge of a windscreen) = noise and annoying buffeting. Yes, there is a price to be paid for that protection provided by the windscreen. The only other option is to get the screen so high, and the edge of the screen close enough to your helmet, that you are in the pocket of still air with the turbulence going over you.

Simple stuff, really. Not so easy to execute a perfect solution.

Highlander also cut his a couple of years ago. He might be persuaded to post some pictures that he has from the original posting......

Don't do this -- it will void your warranty and your YES
Guess my warranty shot to hell eh ?? :rolleyes:

IMG_0139.jpg

Yeah...he does. One pair are driving lights, the other pair are FOG lights. He lives and commutes in the San Francisco Bay area where fog is a huge safety issue. He has a switch box built to control them or even turn off one of the headlights to conserve precious voltage when he has his forward progress...uhm...lit up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Test ride went well, much quieter than before the windshield was cut down but not as quiet as when I stuck my head up above the stock shield. I think that Skyway spacers may help with a little angle and since I own some I will give them a try. This will definetly be my summer windshield though because it is much better than stock height for me. I like the touring windshield for winter.

Qualifiers: I always wear earplugs.

cut%20down%20windshield%20low.jpg

cut%20down%20windshield%20up.jpg