So you want to be an IBR rider...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonerockz

Reaction score
It had been 11 years since I owned a bike. The last thing I did in 1998 was to ride my bike in the Minnesota 1000. I rode a 1000+ miles in that rally and managed to finish 10th in my class. It was a walk off grand slam for me. My wife was pregnant and said "I think you should ride less..." I hung up my leathers and helmet and focused on my family. So this spring I decided that my kids were old enough that if I did a fool thing they would at least remember me. So with my wife's... well not blessing, but not cursing either, I bought a nice shiny new to me Versys.

The very next thing I looked at were Iron Butt rides that I could take this year. It just so happened that there was a group in July that was doing the Great Lakes Challenge. All five lakes (2450 miles) in less than 100 or 50 hours. Now I knew I would not be up for the 50 hours, so signed up for the 100 hours. My buddy Michael, who had given up riding after a serious crash in Colorado decided that if I could do it so should he. So he went out and picked up a not shiny 80,000 mile ST1100.

All through spring I trained and slowly increased my daily rides from 400 miles to 750. For those not familiar with the Versys the stock seat is referred to as "Nad Masher", so I felt a great sense of accomplishment that I could do these long days. About 4 weeks before the trip we were contacted by another rider that was alone on the GLC, but was hoping to find someone to do the trip with. We’ll call him “Joe”. Joe rode a Harley and was in his late 60’s but had done a 1000 in 24 and had been riding since he was in his twenties. I sent Joe long emails about all the preparation that we were making and how cold it would be up along the Superior shore. I told him about Michael and my riding styles, our route plan, our stop strategy. I had a few phone calls with Joe, and was a little concerned that maybe he was in a little over his head, but decided that I would at least start the ride with him. He wsa an adult after all, who was I to tell him that he might want to rethink this?

So three days before the ride my wife went off to visit a friend in San Diego and our kids were in Peru with my folks, so I took off to finish my Wisconsin Rustic Roads quest (108 roads). I did 1500 miles in three days and picked up the last 50 roads that I needed. It was a great training run. Cold nasty wet weather, but I felt I was ready. I got home by 8 as Joe was riding up from Kansas and staying at my place before we headed up to Duluth to start the ride. It was very cold and wet that day with temps in the high 50s. At 8:30 I got a call from Joe that he was freezing in southern MN and would be late. He was about 90 minutes away, I told him eat something hot, and get in when he could. Inwardly I was worried because temps along Superior would be colder! And he was only riding 400 today; our first days ride was 780 miles!

He made it to my place 3 hours later. My worries were confirmed. Jeans jacket & pants, half helmet and half frozen, Joe put his Harley in my garage and hit the sack. Next morning we planned to ride up to Duluth and meet up with the other riders for dinner. Joe needed some cold weather gear so we made a stop at Fleet Farm on the way and picked up some Long Johns and a warmer jacket. I told Joe we would ride up I-35 till we got a little south of Duluth and then take a nice scenic ride through Jay Cook state park. It’s got a great motorcycle road, with lots of curves. “Yeah, Curves are my nemesis,” says Joe. “Umm…, what?” “Yeah I crashed this spring on a curve with some gravel.” Michael says “just go at your own pace, we’ll meet up at the end of the park if you fall behind.”

The next 120 miles to Duluth I kept thinking that Joe may not be up for this ride. We got off I-35 and headed into Jay Cook. My only thoughts were focused on Joe’s comments. Joy cook is marked at 40mph, so I entered my first turns slowly, knowing that Joe was bringing up the rear. My buddy Michael is behind me and is going slower so he begins to disappear as I go through the turns. After about a mile he’s no longer in my mirrors at all. I slow to a crawl. Wait… No Michael. OK… this is not good. It takes me 2 miles to find a turn around and I high tail it back.

There is Michael’s bike, stopped at the side of the road and Michael is off his bike next to someone on the ground. Joe hit a floor board on a curve and couldn’t get it slowed down. 2 ambulances, 2 fire trucks, highway patrol, tow truck and a conservation officer later they ship Joe off to the local ER. 3 fractured vertebrae. So we spend the afternoon helping Joe’s wife make arrangements to get to Duluth. The rider dinner is a blur and at the end of the day I felt like I rode 1000 miles not 150.

At 5:30 the next day Michael and I head out on our ride. Thoughts of poor Joe fill my head for the next three days. Michael and I finish our ride. We do it exactly on schedule at 65 hours and 8 minutes. We had some trying times, and some great times. At the end I felt like I would have been able to do the 50 hours ride. It is a ride I will never forget. I am very glad I did it and I am training for harder rides.

Joe’s wife had made it up from KC and we stopped by the hospital so see her. Joe was not doing well he had not regained consciousness after being transported to the hospital. A few weeks later I transported Joe’s bike to KC so that it could be repaired. At that time he was barely conscious and not responding to stimulus. So now its 6 weeks later. Joe is still in the hospital. He has regained speech. He finds it hard to move and is not doing great. His wife has to drive 400 miles to see him as he is still in Minnesota.

So you want to be an IBA rider? Honestly it’s not that hard to do a 1000 in 24 ride. But the rides beyond that are harder. Know your limits. Train! Prepare. You will fail at this if you don’t know what you are doing. Basically don’t be Joe. Moving from a SS1000 to rides like BBG is a hard move. The IBR is in a completely different league. Very few people can do it. If you look at the entrants for this year’s IBA you can tell they were not plucked at random from the 2000+ entrants they got. I am sure they looked at the rides that folks have completed and the rallies that folks have done and culled the unqualified riders. Tragedies like Davo are still possible.

Seems like common sense to me, but as your story about "Joe" illustrates, a reminder is necessary for some.

We annually have the Western States 100 here -- runners do 100 miles through remote areas of the Sierra Nevada mountains in 24 hours in June. It is sometimes close to or above 100 degrees in parts of the canyons they run through. Ski mountaineering in extreme back country terrain -- no one wants to risk lives trying to get you out if you don't have what it takes to give yourself a reasonable chance of doing what you need to do, so you aren't invited or even allowed along if you don't. Or can you imagine suddenly deciding to fight in MMA competitions? In all these things, considerably more is required than just buying the bike, the running shoes or the TapOut shorts. But re: LD riding, I think you nailed it with this:

Moving from a SS1000 to rides like BBG is a hard move. The IBR is in a completely different league. Very few people can do it. If you look at the entrants for this year’s IBA you can tell they were not plucked at random from the 2000+ entrants they got. I am sure they looked at the rides that folks have completed and the rallies that folks have done and culled the unqualified riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
That last paragraph sums it up. Prepare, Train! (methinks good physical conditioning included) I've been hanging around Watkins long enough to know this takes some doing. And every time I get hyped up about doing a rally someday I tend to stop and think... am I really up for this? Well... definitely not the IBR. No way I would let me self be even in the hopeless class right now. But a rally like the Utah 1088 (or one like it) perhaps. Even that is a little daunting. One step at a time.

.... half helmet....not regained consciousness after being transported to the hospital....So now its 6 weeks later. Joe is still in the hospital. He has regained speech. He finds it hard to move and is not doing great....Tragedies like Davo are still possible.
Common denominator: NO full HELMET to protect the brain. No brain, no life, no quality of life.

Sportster

It took me 19hrs and 20min to get my SS1000 with 1100 miles. The BBG (1500miles in under 24hrs) is one hell of a jump up from there. If I could have kept going, I could not have even come close to a BBG. When you take into consideration your stops for gas, bathroom, and food, a BBG is an insane pace. The IBR guys are on a whole different planet from there. They are not human. I did my SS1000 alone, I think having a riding partner would have made it a little easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
.... half helmet....not regained consciousness after being transported to the hospital....So now its 6 weeks later. Joe is still in the hospital. He has regained speech. He finds it hard to move and is not doing great....Tragedies like Davo are still possible.
Common denominator: NO full HELMET to protect the brain. No brain, no life, no quality of life.

Sportster

If you think this is about helmets you are sorely mistaken. I don't know about Davo or his incident. I was not there. My heart goes out to his family.

Joe's helmet did protect him. It had a minor scrape. but he had no face damage. A full face helmet would have done nothing to protect Joe's back. It did nothing to keep his bike out of the ditch. A helmet would not have given Joe any more sense to know he needed to take the curves slower, or that he needed to be realistic about his riding skill. A helmet reduces the risk of death or injury due to head trauma. That's all. It will not keep you from hitting a deer. It will not keep you from making bad decisions. In fact it may embolden you to make risky choices with a false sense of security. These are risky rides. I'm in no way saying don't do them (heck I do, got a BBG planned next month!), just realize that what you are doing is taking a risk, treat these rides casually and...

I would argue that if you feel fully prepared for a ride like the IBR, you are incapable of assessing risk correctly. If you go into it wishing you had done a few more 1000 milers, and had done a few more week long rides, and a few more... then maybe you realize just what you are trying to do.

If you think this is about helmets you are sorely mistaken. I don't know about Davo or his incident. I was not there. My heart goes out to his family.

My comments are based on a personal friend and fellow rider, H-D in this case, that had a half helmet on in a get-off, and suffered facial and head trauma 6 months ago, that has him in the same medical condition you describe Joe to be in.

It is only my layman's opinion that body trauma heals. And that head trauma is forever: whether it is death, or loss of 'normal' quality of life.

Prayers that your friend Joe and his family persevere during his recovery period.

I do appreciate your observations about the conditioning, training, and preparation needed to participate in Long Distance events.

Sportster

It took me 19hrs and 20min to get my SS1000 with 1100 miles. The BBG (1500miles in under 24hrs) is one hell of a jump up from there. If I could have kept going, I could not have even come close to a BBG. When you take into consideration your stops for gas, bathroom, and food, a BBG is an insane pace. The IBR guys are on a whole different planet from there. They are not human. I did my SS1000 alone, I think having a riding partner would have made it a little easier.
IMHO I think a riding partner on a BBG would make things MUCH harder. Alone the focus is more contained.

A BBG is approx. 63mph over 24 hours- if my math is right.

IMHO I think a riding partner on a BBG would make things MUCH harder. Alone the focus is more contained.

After doing my GLC ride I would agree. These are best done as solo endeavors. On my GLC I was very worried at some points about my riding companion. He was more fatigued than I. At fuel stops you always stay stopped for the longest persons stop. Most of the time he was faster than me, but then there was a stop where he had to rest. I was fine with the usual 15 minutes, but he needed an hour. I'm not complaining, he needed that hour, it would have been unsafe to continue for him. On a BBG that kind of thing will kill the ride. Also if may lead to someone doing pushing harder than they are capable as they don't want to cause the other rider to fail.

There are benefits. It can be comforting knowing that if you have an issue someone will be there to help. You have someone to talk to at stops and there is a good bond formed. On a non gold BB it would be a good idea. On a BBG you don't have the time.

After doing my GLC ride I would agree. These are best done as solo endeavors. On my GLC I was very worried at some points about my riding companion. He was more fatigued than I. At fuel stops you always stay stopped for the longest persons stop. Most of the time he was faster than me, but then there was a stop where he had to rest. I was fine with the usual 15 minutes, but he needed an hour. I'm not complaining, he needed that hour, it would have been unsafe to continue for him. On a BBG that kind of thing will kill the ride. Also if may lead to someone doing pushing harder than they are capable as they don't want to cause the other rider to fail.

There are benefits. It can be comforting knowing that if you have an issue someone will be there to help. You have someone to talk to at stops and there is a good bond formed. On a non gold BB it would be a good idea. On a BBG you don't have the time.
Are you considering any individual lake rides? How about the 50 hour gold? Let me know for next year.

Remember ...planning in advance :rolleyes:

I only have a SS1000. I had a few setbacks and still had almost 5 hours to spare. If you go with another person and you don't make......well you just don't make it. I'll be looking for a riding companion on my next IB ride.

I'm in central Ohio if anyone is interested.

Now look what you did, you just talked me into another on of these insane rides!!!!

Are you considering any individual lake rides? How about the 50 hour gold? Let me know for next year.

Remember ...planning in advance :rolleyes:
I will do either a Canadian CC next year or hoping they run the Butt Lite again. I was thinking of doing a CC50, but after the GLC I realize that would be a little to dull. The first half of the GLC was beautiful. Nice two lane highways and great scenery. The last half was I90, followed by some I90, Chicago, and then I90. Oh and did I mention I90 yet? I don't need to do the GLC Gold, want to do other things before I repeat.

Where do I start?

My heart goes out to 'Joe' and his family. I wouldn't want to be dealing with those consequences! HD or sportbike, when you ride beyond your skill level, your guardian angel better not be nappin'!

I remember once about four years ago my dad was following me on his HD. We entered a 40 MPH right hand freeway entrance. I was on a 2004 Concours with my wife and my dad was on his 2003 Harley Davidson 100 year anniversary Softail Classic with my son. My dad followed me into that turn way too hot and ended up riding over a mountable curb.

The consequences he paid were scraped-up floor boards.

I've learned to 'cool-it' when I'm riding with my dad.

Where do I start? My heart goes out to 'Joe' and his family. I wouldn't want to be dealing with those consequences! HD or sportbike, when you ride beyond your skill level, your guardian angel better not be nappin'!

I remember once about four years ago my dad was following me on his HD. We entered a 40 MPH right hand freeway entrance. I was on a 2004 Concours with my wife and my dad was on his 2003 Harley Davidson 100 year anniversary Softail Classic with my son. My dad followed me into that turn way too hot and ended up riding over a mountable curb.

The consequences he paid were scraped-up floor boards.

I've learned to 'cool-it' when I'm riding with my dad.
I've learned to always let the slowest guy lead and get in the back, that way you can lag waaaaaaaayy back and ketchup....weeeeeeeeee!

I can easily ride 1k miles in a day. I believe that I could do a BBG with no problem, but I have to admit that I haven't tried it. I enjoy riding long distances on unfamiliar roads. I am not, however, an IBR rider and never will be. Not only is it physically demanding, but also mentally demanding in several ways. The determination to push on when tired, and the ability to know when you really must stop and rest are very important skills. Add that to the planning and calculating of how many points you can collect within the window of time and miles that you are capable of riding and you have a very difficult puzzle to solve. Then you have to ride the plan without making mistakes while your brain is overwhelmed and weary.

My heart goes out to Davo and his friends and family may he RIP. He was doing what he loved to do and he seems a great fellow. Helmet on , off it does not really matter it is a loss all the same.

Bravo to the riders, I am far too busted up over the years to do it. Most of the riders, are not kids making it more difficult still. A job well done by all that did it or attempted to do it. I think at the end of our time, it is not the things in life you did right or wrong you regret, but the ones you never even tried to do out of fear.

Timely topic. Thanks for reminding us all of the mental and physical capabilities required to perform at that level. I'm doing a 50CC and BBG1500 next week from San Diego to Jacksonville, your words are taken seriously. My prayers to Dave's family and all the IBR riders making their way home.

Timely topic. Thanks for reminding us all of the mental and physical capabilities required to perform at that level. I'm doing a 50CC and BBG1500 next week from San Diego to Jacksonville, your words are taken seriously. My prayers to Dave's family and all the IBR riders making their way home.
Look for me... Taking off tomorrow for Jacksonville, Tuesday night at 9pm et for San Diego

BBG on way out. Hope to arrive by 2pm pt. 300 miles between gas stops? are you running aux?

And you are right with pressure and safety on the BBG. I will try to run in your mirror for awhile

on the return.

Latest posts