SoCal-WFO-CraterLake-Gold Coast-Combo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzkenoman

Reaction score
panorama_left.jpg

July 26th leaving after lunch.

Scroll down for details

Last edited by a moderator:
If I may offer a suggestion, there isn't much to see at Shasta (There are no roads around the lake, just I-5 that goes up the middle of it through the mountains), unless you have a reason to go there.

From Reno you could:

1) Come West on I-80 and take Hwy 89 North, through Lassento R. (East) on Hwy 299 to Canby, then North on 138 around Tule Lake and into Klamath Falls. Or,

2) Head North on 395, to Susanville, the take 138 North to Klamath Falls.

WARNING: Hwy 138 is high desert (as is all Eastern Oregon).

If at all possible, I would suggest trying to ride Oregon Hwy 66 (Way fun, very twisty) from Klamath Falls to Ashland. It would not take you closer to Crater lake (which is beautiful, ask anyone who joined the "Peak to Peak" ride to WFO last year. We rode around the lake--the Northern shore is not visible from the road. You can probably find pictures under WFO-4, Peak to Peak ride.).

From Klamath Falls you can ride Hwy 97 North to Hwy 62 up to Crater Lake, then from there take Hwy 138 West to Roseburg then I-5 South to Hwy 42 West to Coos Bay.

WARNING: You'll likely find many motorhomes on Hwy 101. You might check with PNW owners, or Skyway, who took that route home last year and ended up cutting away from 101.

As an option, look at Pashnit and consider coming South in California via Hwy 199 or I-5 into CA and Hwy 96 to Klamath, CA. or from Yreka take Hwy 3 to Weaverville then Hwy 299 to Arcata/Eureka. These (along with Hwy 36 from Redding) are supposed to be some of the best motorcycle roads in the North state.

It's your ride and vacation, I'm just trying to give you options. Remember, there are no "bad roads", only different roads.

ZZ, that sounds interesting to me... I've been kicking around the idea of an extended trip with Ojai Roy, jdog (if he recovers well enough from his recent stint in the hospital), Carla and Rogue.

This may be just the ticket!

ZZ, that sounds interesting to me... I've been kicking around the idea of an extended trip with Ojai Roy, jdog (if he recovers well enough from his recent stint in the hospital), Carla and Rogue.
This may be just the ticket!
It would be fantastic to have a nice group of riders join us. Besides you can accomodate any part along the route for site seeing, and alternative roads back to your home. Some of the email I've been getting, are riders who want to join along the route, leave times and staging areas. So for the record here, each overnight town/city we reach will probably include a starbucks we can depart from (got to have good coffee in the morning). After checkout at 8:30am everyone will go over the route, do a equipment & safety check, kickstands up at 9am for a superb early start. Location of daily staging areas tba.

Another idea was going rafting or jet boat riding on the 4th day (our relaxing day) in oregon? Class 5 rapids anyone?

B) Hey ZZkenoman I was planning on a exstended ride up to Reno, but was thinking about leaving around the 24th and try to see some gold country.

When you get your plans set. Let me know. I would like to ride with you all. ?

Thanks, Dan in Yucaipa.

B) Hey ZZkenoman I was planning on a exstended ride up to Reno, but was thinking about leaving around the 24th and try to see some gold country. When you get your plans set. Let me know. I would like to ride with you all. ?

Thanks, Dan in Yucaipa.
Dan, I just got off the phone with another Dan who is riding with us. I know there are some riders that want to do the whole orange county to reno trip in one day (over 560 miles), if you slab it on a early thursday morning. However, those of us who aren't IB contenders would be more comfortable leaving 1/2 day on the 26th, and get up near the 1/2 way point of fresno, stay overnight nearby, and be in Reno in the afternoon.

My last 2 trips up to placerville, taking 99 north and 80 east was not very fun. Hitting fog & traffic by Manteca/stockton and splitting lanes thru sacramento, just to reach hwy 80/50 during rush hour, is not ideal. Plus, after a long, rushed ride, your body begins to fatigue very quickly being in the seat for 12 hours, and you feel like you can't get enough rest over the next day or two.

If you want to enjoy the trip (only in my opinion), ride 1/2 way near fresno, get a nice rest overnight, ride in the morning thru some beautiful yosemite, up the backroads of 120 into Mono Lake & 395 and into Reno in the afternoon. You'll have time to take some nice photos, be relaxed (like your supposed to) and enjoy riding into Reno in good spirit plus, have extra strength for the rest of the journey.

in one day (over 560 miles), .......

being in the seat for 12 hours,.......

Damn.... you So Cal guys are so damn slow..shift into 3rd will ya !! :D

But seriously, if I follow your " day 1 , day 2 " timeline, your in Reno on Thursday before WFO, then leaving for Shasta on Friday before WFO ?? Apply some actual dates to the timeline for us stupid NorCalers please ???????????????? I need a date when your coming through the SF area please. B)

Your right, I had to look at the WFO schedule and there won't be any vendors setup (don't even know how many or if there is a list of vendors either) on the 27th and it is only a day to check-in.

As of today we are leaving on the 27th of July instead of wed, leaving hopefully around noon on the 27th. Arriving in Reno on the 28th, staying one night, then leaving for oregon on the 29th saturday noon from reno nevada.

We will post a map with dates for the Reno to Crater lake Oregon, and down the coast asap so we can all have a visual tearsheet. More info to come!

Wellllll, Hwy 140 is closed if you were planning on riding East from Mariposa. You can still come in from the South, via Oakhurst on Hwy 41. Hwy 41, from Fresno, is a better way in if you plan to ride up Glacier Point, then ride through the valley floor and out Hwy 120.

Final route details for July 27th departure date thru August 4th. Please download PDF for dates, maps and routes by clicking on the link:

PDF for SoCal WFO Crater lake

Crater Lake Trip

Thursday July 27

LV: 12:00 Noon from South Orange County, Mission Motorsports

Route: 5 north to 99 north

AR: Visalia (210 miles) - Approx. 4:30 pm. BBQ, swimming, cold beer, relax.

Friday July 28

LV: Visalia 8:00 am

Route: 99 north to 41 east, to 120 east (ride through Yosemite) 135 miles. Connect with 395 north to Reno 211 miles

AR: Reno (346 miles) – Approx. 3:30 pm Spend the night and attend the WFO

Option 1: 395 north (as above), take 207 west to Lake Tahoe, south on 50, north/west on 89 (ride around lake). Take 28 to 431 into Reno. Adds approx. 45 miles of beautiful, but slow riding. Arrive Reno around 5:45 pm.

Option 2: 395 to NV-206 to 207 east thru south Lake Tahoe, around the SW end of the lake to 89. 89 to hwy 80 to Reno. About 94 miles

Saturday July 29

LV: Reno 12:00 pm after attending WFO FJR convention

Route: 395 north to the 44 north, to the 89 north, to the 5 north.

AR: Medford, Oregon (305 miles) – Arrive around 6:30 pm

Sunday July 30

LV: Medford 9:00 am

Route: Highway 66 to Klamath Falls (77 miles). Ride around Klamath falls to Crater lake on 62 with lots of stops.

AR: Medford (202 miles) – Arrive around 4:30 pm

Option: Rest day, bike maintenance, Rafting or Fishing, etc

Monday July 31

LV: Medford 9:00 am

Route: 5 North to 42 west, 101 south, with many stops

AR: Gold Beach (251 miles) around 4:30

Option 1:

For those who need to get back a day earlier, can take 199 from medford to crescent city down hwy 101.

Tuesday August 1

LV: Gold Beach 8:00 am

Route: Hwy 101 south to Fort Bragg (slow ride, very scenic)

AR: Fort Bragg (271 miles) around 5:00

Wednesday August 2

LV: Fort Bragg 9:00 am

Route: 101 south to 92 west, to hwy 1 south

AR: San Francisco Bay Area in San Bruno (172 miles) around 4:00 pm.

Thursday August 3

LV: San Bruno 8:00 am

Route: 1 south to 101 south to Big Sur then Morro Bay

AR: Morro Bay (219 miles ) around 2:00 pm

Friday August 4

LV: Morro Bay 8:00 am

Route: 101 south to Orange County

AR: South Orange County (243 miles ) around 2:00 pm

(or a variety of other freeways depending on traffic).

OPTION: Plan a lunch stop in Santa Barbara (about 104 miles from Morro Bay, arrive about 10pm ).

Total Mileage: 1925 to 2250 depending on options.

Heres the list as of today

Name: Bike:

zzkenoman FJR

Steve ZX6R

Coorslightsilverbullet40 FJR

Steve ZX-10R

Rob FZ1

DocDanDC FJR

Possibles:

TurboDave FJR

Lanny FJR

Joel FJR

Rod GW

John Royal Star

Note: If you think you would like to go for the whole or part of the trip, let me know so I can pencil you in. Also, If you would be willing to share a room during the trip and split costs, let me know. There are a few guys who would like to offer that during the ride.

Here is some information that may help with lodging and hold your cost down.

The following web address is from my ama magazine..

www.motelguide.com it list most of all the mom and pops motels and hotels that range from $30 to $80 per night. It list all 48 lower states.

good luck and have a safe trip :clapping:

www.motelguide.com it list most of all the mom and pops motels and hotels that range from $30 to $80 per night. It list all 48 lower states.

One of the guys suggested this place for Fort Bragg

https://www.cleonegardensinn.com/