Solo Touring with a Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergmen

Reaction score
I designed a deck to mount a Givi Monokey Trekker trunk that hovers over the passenger seat about 1/4". I don't like the trunk being mounted behind the passemger seat and as high as it is with the available mounts.

I have both the 33 liter and 46 liter Givi Trekker trunks. I have removed the metal panels (two on each) and I am having them powder coated right now to match the Candy Red of my 2014 A model. Here are pictures of the deck, plus a rear rack I made myself as well:

Parts back from the powder coater (not the panels yet) in semi-gloss black:

More pictures as the assembly progresses.

Dan

Not a bad idea, given solo touring. But why not do away with the pillion altogether? Then you could mount the trunk even lower.

Are you planning a long way around trip where there will be no places to do laundry? Why do you need so much luggage? I've gone on three week trips with just side bags and a small tail bag.

Cool idea - I saw something very similar done for a VFR800 Interceptor - moving the top box forward can help the balance of the bike. Great fab work.

Said VFR solo rack. I have one on my 2002.

gallery_18346_4978_14209.jpg

I love the way riders engineer and fabricate stuff! Brilliant design Dan. Like the spin on oil filter adapter for the original Concours.