Soltek Hand Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
I'm the prowd owner of a set of Solteks, including cool Unobtanium mounting brackets. I've done the "search thing" with Soltek:fjrforum.com and got a bunch of results. I've kept seven of them as good advice and "go-by's". However, only a couple of posts actually show how the hand switch is mounted and exactly what the switch is.

This One from Toecutter is much like what I'm trying to do. However, is the switch waterproof? In that position it's on the leading edge of the handlebar and so seems as if it would take it on the chin in any sort of rain. Where did you get it and is it relaible?

Just found Highlanders original solution Clicky

Also, as a lesson from Carver in This Post, I'm not going to hook the Soltek's to the factory lighting system. Hadn't planned to but his post confirmed what I was a bit nervous about.

There was also a shot somewhere of SW's (found it) Here three position switch but that was mounted on the lower panel near to where my Heated Grip Controller is. Seems like this would be really inconvient to try to shut the lights off while going around a corner and finding oncoming traffic.

As an alternative, I've thought about using my AE shift lever as the switch. I never use the handle bar switch, always the foot switch. I've studied the wiring diagram in the POS FSM and it appears that I could unplug the switch harness and, using the appropriate connectors, jump the "on/off" part of the assembly to keep the switch permanently in the off position. Then, again using the appropriate connectors, wire the AE switch to the Solex's via some sort of relay (as disscussed elsewhere).

This would put control of the blindingly bright Solex's literally right at my fingertips under all riding situations.

Seems like a good idea, comments?

I thik this is a good go-by for the wiring harness, yes? Clicky.

Kaitsdad had a good write up too Here but again doesn't show the actual switch style and mounting location.

Not without a cover boot.
I put this exact rocker switch in the same location on my '08 FJR for my Baja Designs Soltek Fuegos. I never had an issue with water causing a problem.

If you want extra protection, I do have many cover boots made for that switch if you would like some. The boots are clear plastic with a soft-to-touch top made especially for that rocker switch. PM if you would like me to send you a large handfull.

Now I have a '09 FJR AE, but I doubt that I'll be adding auxiliary lighting.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want extra protection, I do have many cover boots made for that switch if you would like some. The boots are clear plastic with a soft-to-touch top made especially for that rocker switch. PM if you would like me to send you a large handfull.
Due to liking the feel and control the way it's currently set up, I'm gonna hold off on adding the boot until I have some issues in the wet. Rode thru a frog-strangler a couple of months ago, but no problem with the switch.

Thanks for the offer!

Does anybody have the part number for the relay you used?

Just ordered 10 switches so if anybody needs one or two, I can mail them to you (felt kinda stupid ordering just one 87 cent item over the phone).

I'm too lazy to find the post, but forum member Brodie found a left hand control pod from a Kawie that fit perfectly, looks like the Euro version of the FJR, and it has a stock oem passing switch. That's the hot setup for rain.

I'm too lazy to find the post, but forum member Brodie found a left hand control pod from a Kawie that fit perfectly, looks like the Euro version of the FJR, and it has a stock oem passing switch. That's the hot setup for rain.
Brodie? You listening?

Brodie? You listening?
Are you referring to this thread?

Within Technical Discussions, there is a "Flash to pass" thread that was started January 22, 2009. Post #10 by Brodie talks about mating a Kawasaki Concours switch pod, which includes the flash-to-pass switch, with the FJR switch housing.

Kawasaki switch

[SIZE=8pt]fixed my link posting mistake[/SIZE]

Brodie? You listening?

Yeah, I'm listening - after Bob bent my ear. :p

Kawasaki uses the exact same left switch pod on their 1400 Concours that Yamaha uses on the FJR. The difference being the Concours has a flash to pass switch on the left index finger. Yamaha has a blank cover plate. I bought a complete used switch pod to get the switch.

DSC00066.jpg

I had to re wire it to replace the Starcom unit. The Starcom push to talk switch also has a resistor in it's housing. Make sure you do the same.

Hope this helps.

:)

Brodie

Hope this helps.
Probably not, since it's a momentary switch, unless you somehow hook it to a relay that will turn on or off each time the switch is activated. It's probably possible, but not worth the trouble for me. I'll just stick with the mini rocker switch....

Still working on this (too hot to ride!). I've got the cool I/O switch, have several left over if anybody needs a couple. PM me. Also got the rubber boots (thanks George!) so they will be waterproof.

What have you guys used for the wiring loom from the left grip down into the area behind the A,B, etc panels? The stuff from The Zone, NAPA, Hi-Lo are all the corrugated type loom, nobody seems to carry the rubber tube that looks sort of like heat shrink tubing. It would look pretty dorky with the corrugated stuff, I'm looking for something that will match the OEM cable shroud.