Solved a problem with my new-to-me 2720

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
When I got my eBay 2720 a few months ago, the previous owner properly unregistered it on their MyGarmin page, and I was able to register it, and Garmin gave me a 2011 map download for free, counting it in the one-time map update for new registration, I guess. Anyway, it's done some weird things since then.

First weird thing is it keeps repeating a driving instruction. Say I'm riding along US98 about 38 miles from the next event. I get a countdown to that distance, specifically "Continue 38 miles on US 98," followed a mile later by "Continue 37 miles on US 98," followed a mile later by . . . . well, you get the drift. Really and truly annoying.

Used the thing last week with a quick route that I built in the device and that didn't happen. OK, it's fixed. Somehow. Used it today with a route loaded from Mapsource, and it's doing it again. Furthermore, the route calculated in the device used a section of highway that's been demolished and relocated, and the route from Mapsource correctly used the new section, but the 2720 told me I was off-route when I got there, even though the correct road is displayed on the screen. (But so was the old section . . . . turns out to be a clue.)

Turns out my updated map set did not replace the original 2008 set, and details show both sets are in the device. I had to disable to 2008 set, which I assumed had been done by the update. Actually, I assumed the 2008 set had been removed and replaced. Since disabling the 2008, the repetitive "Continue" prompts have stopped, and the map is correct in that new section of highway.

Unlike the 2730, the 2720 does not have a USB drive mode, where you can see its memory as a drive letter on your computer. I've found a rather convoluted method of replacing the files in memory using the command line mode of webupdate.exe, but I haven't bothered. It basically involves using Mapsource to export a map set built by clicking every single map section on your PC and transfering it to a USB drive. Then you take that file and shoot it to the device using that command line (which I found but didn't keep) to replace the factory-installed map file in flash memory. At that point you can remove the supplement file (which is where my update is right now) to free up memory. Told you it was cumbersome. Seems like a good way to brick the device, too, if something goes awry.

Anyway, if you have a 2720, and you get an updated map set, be sure to disable the factory map set if it didn't actually get replaced. Your device will behave better.

Last edited by a moderator: