some real quick buying questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirfonners

Reaction score
alriight, so im sure some of you have read my post on my interest in buying a feejer

but i had some questions that I wanted to ask about the actual purchase of one, as I don't have much experience buyer of motorized vehicles from a dealer, and i want my first time to be special :lol:

Anyways I just had a quick questions about what I should do, what to look for, stay away from, steer toward, the whole haggling procedure..etc

My first question is pretty simple, if I walked into a dealership right now

with cash IN HAND, how low do you think they would go for the A or AE? are

we talking like a few hundred below msrp OTD or like a big saving?

Are there things I should be asking and looking out for to make sure

that the dealer itself is good, and they have good services?

should I mention i was thinking of BMW instead, so they fight more my money, and go lower?

jsut tell me everything that is a need know

and tips tricks, and all that good stuff

ok 123 educate :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Best price on an 07A should me around 11700. That is around dealer cost w/out including holdback. The most I would want to pay would be 12100. If your area has several Yamaha dealers you should be able to find this price range. If not you will pay a little more or have to travel for the deal. If you show you able to buy today that usually motivate them. Good Luck.

You want to concentrate on the quality of the dealer over the absolute lowest price. How does the dealership look? Is it a multi-million dollar showroom, or just a small shop? I've had much better experiences at smaller dealerships. Meet the service manager. Tour the shop. Take the dealer for a test ride as well as the bike. It's worth it to spend a couple hundred extra dollars at a good dealer then save the money now, but have all sorts of hassles later. Most important, follow your gut. If you don't like the salesman, move on. And for pete's sake, have fun! :yahoo: Good luck, and welcome to the club.

When I got my AE in June, it was two grand below MSRP. Two weeks after I bought it, they replaced it on the floor with an A model, it was also $2K below MSRP. You can find new ones at dealers on ebay around the same price all day long. The only exception I've noticed, last week in Louisiana, a Baton Rouge dealer had an 06 AE and he was asking full price for it. You should be able to get a good deal with cash, give or take a few hundred.

Also, see what the dealer will throw in for free. I got a helmet out of mine. Good luck!

You guys need to remember that he's in CA. A 49 state bike won't cut it if he buys new. He won't be able to register it in CA. Used bikes must be over 7500 miles to qualify and be legal to register in CA. (Check that before you buy)

Don't tell them you were considering a BMW. They will think you have cash to burn. A common question from BMW owners looking at a FJR price tag is "shouldn't that first number be a 2?"

Taterides has the pricing about right. CA is sometimes higher, and harder to haggle with because of the limitations. You can't shop across the state line on new.

College is important. Consider a used bike if you're really ready to upgrade.

If you enjoy the longer rides and are ready to change, that's your choice. It's a big step though.

Buying - Money talks, but if they won't haggle on the price, go someplace else, unless they are already under MSRP. Line up financing with your own bank first. Maybe you won't use it, maybe the Dealer will have some great financing option sponsered by Yamaha, check them all out before you jump. Consider both sides of the trade in coin. You can usually sell the bike for more than you'll get on trade in alone, but often you can adjust the haggled price on the new bike lower by them "giving you more" on the trade in. It will look stupid on paper, like them giving you way more than the 600R is worth, but all they are really doing is dropping the price on the FJR.

Don't be afraid to walk away from a dealer if you don't think you're getting the deal you need. Sometimes they will call you back in a day or a week and accept your last offer. Sometimes not.

Good luck.

You guys need to remember that he's in CA. A 49 state bike won't cut it if he buys new. He won't be able to register it in CA. Used bikes must be over 7500 miles to qualify and be legal to register in CA. (Check that before you buy)

Don't walk in. Call or e-mail the sales manager directly. Just say what is the best OTD price you'll give me. Ask for OTD price not bike price. You would be surprise how much they'll add on the final cost. Best California OTD price I found was 13,250.00. It should be lower today, since it's later in the year. Don't spend more than you can afford even if they say it's only 5.00 a month more.

alriight, so im sure some of you have read my post on my interest in buying a feejerbut i had some questions that I wanted to ask about the actual purchase of one, as I don't have much experience buyer of motorized vehicles from a dealer, and i want my first time to be special :lol:

Anyways I just had a quick questions about what I should do, what to look for, stay away from, steer toward, the whole haggling procedure..etc

My first question is pretty simple, if I walked into a dealership right now

with cash IN HAND, how low do you think they would go for the A or AE? are

we talking like a few hundred below msrp OTD or like a big saving?

Are there things I should be asking and looking out for to make sure

that the dealer itself is good, and they have good services?

should I mention i was thinking of BMW instead, so they fight more my money, and go lower?

jsut tell me everything that is a need know

and tips tricks, and all that good stuff

ok 123 educate :D
I paid 14.5 OTD 3 months ago for a CA model and that was about 200 less than the lowest price I could find in LA. It was worth it to me to buy locally.