Some seat of the pants stuff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Toro

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
I've got two kinds of pants that generally wear for street riding: Diamond Gussett kevlar reinforced jeans, and Vanson armored textile pants.

I've been wearing the Diamond Gussett jeans just about exclusively since March, but because its been so hot and muggy lately, today I put on a pair of the Vansons with the hope that the vents might offer an improvement. I had forgotten just how much nicer that smooth seat of the Vanson pants feels. The Sargent seat and the Vanson pants brought my heinie to "cheeks nirvana," and it was only the memory of my dear wife's touch that kept me from heading out on a Saddle Sore 1000 this very evening.

Seriously... if you're working through seat issues on your FJR, you might want to consider both your pants AND your bike seat. Its amazing how much difference the right pants can make. The Diamond Gussett jeans are getting relegated to commuting and errand duty. I've had this same experience before with the Vanson pants, so I've got to do a better job of remembering it. The jeans are seductive because they're so much less wardrobe challenged once you step off the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you brought it up, you might also consider your undies. Underarmour type (no seams, wicking) are much more comfortable for the long haul, hot or not. Walmart carries a cheap version that works just fine.

Good tip, V65. Some guys like bicycle shorts too, as another option. The seat and the pants obviously work together to provide whatever comfort, or lack of comfort you get to enjoy.

Since you brought it up, you might also consider your undies. Underarmour type (no seams, wicking) are much more comfortable for the long haul, hot or not. Walmart carries a cheap version that works just fine.
The underarmour gear from LDComfort is really, really good, I originally tried it because all the LDRiders use it, and boy were they right. Actually the bicycle shorts from my experience are not nearly as good on the motor bike...

The underarmour gear from LDComfort is really, really good, I originally tried it because all the LDRiders use it, and boy were they right. Actually the bicycle shorts from my experience are not nearly as good on the motor bike...
Yup, what they said. Underarmor from ldcomfort are really good. Didn't care for the bicycle shorts. Also Dockers' pants pockets don't create a pressure point like jeans pockets can because you don't sit on a seam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'v just finished 500 plus miles on my new fjr over the past two days. My butt is miserable. In the past on other bikes I've tried different seats i.e. Corban,biker shorts, butt powderes...you name it. Short of an aspirin nothing seems to help. So, I am going to look into your tip and others regarding different undershorts. What brand would I look for at Walmart as you suggested? I would sure like to find the secret to getting thru this discomfort! Thanks for your post.

I'm using the Jockey Classic briefs, and they don't have any objectionable seams, at least none that I notice.