Something good from something bad...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhaze

Reaction score
I am in Indianapolis on business and woke up this morning to discover my rental car window smashed and my beloved Zumo 550 stolen.

Now the good:

Corp account has ins on the rental..no cost to me, and new car delivered. :)

Condo ins will reimburse me for the Zumo minus $250 deductible.

Ins took my word that replacement would cost $899.99 so they cut a check for $649.00.

Now the really good:

The cig lighter for the auto mount broke a while ago.

The motorcycle mount was flaky.

I didnt want to pay for updated maps.

Abesofmaine has a new Zumo for $644!!!!

I get them all replaced with new ones at no cost to me! :clapping:

I am in Indianapolis on business and woke up this morning to discover my rental car window smashed and my beloved Zumo 550 stolen.

Now the good:

Corp account has ins on the rental..no cost to me, and new car delivered. :)

Condo ins will reimburse me for the Zumo minus $250 deductible.

Ins took my word that replacement would cost $899.99 so they cut a check for $649.00.

Now the really good:

The cig lighter for the auto mount broke a while ago.

The motorcycle mount was flaky.

I didnt want to pay for updated maps.

Abesofmaine has a new Zumo for $644!!!!

I get them all replaced with new ones at no cost to me! :clapping:

Smells like a rose...

Insurance isn't always evil.

USAA did me a solid last year and gave me a very fair value for my '04 that was totaled when rear-ended. It was enough to replace it with an '07; all I had to kick in was tax, title, and gas for the ride back.

It's a shame you can't just expect that kind of service given the cost of carrying insurance. I realize insurance companies are businesses, not charities, but take a look at their profit margins and see if you don't get a little steamed when you have to jump through hoops to get a repair or replacement done the "right" way when your property is damaged through no fault of your own. Dealing with USAA this past summer is one of two good experiences out of the many I've had in dealing with insurance co's.

Just curious, was the GPS still on the window or was just the base on the window?

Now that thieves have figured our that gps units are worth something it seems that leaving the base on the window is like putting a sign on the roof of your car: Please steal my gps from my center console!

JW

USAA did me a solid last year and gave me a very fair value for my '04 that was totaled when rear-ended. It was enough to replace it with an '07; all I had to kick in was tax, title, and gas for the ride back.
It's a shame you can't just expect that kind of service given the cost of carrying insurance. I realize insurance companies are businesses, not charities, but take a look at their profit margins and see if you don't get a little steamed when you have to jump through hoops to get a repair or replacement done the "right" way when your property is damaged through no fault of your own. Dealing with USAA this past summer is one of two good experiences out of the many I've had in dealing with insurance co's.

How long have you had USAA motorcycle insurance? I picked up a Honda ST1100 in May of last year (I've since upgraded it to an 07 FJR), but when I went to insure the ST, USAA referred me to Progressive. They, USAA, told me that they no longer insure motorcycles???

How long have you had USAA motorcycle insurance? I picked up a Honda ST1100 in May of last year (I've since upgraded it to an 07 FJR), but when I went to insure the ST, USAA referred me to Progressive. They, USAA, told me that they no longer insure motorcycles???
That is correct. At least it is here in Arizona. However, the Progressive account is a special one for USAA members.

It wasn't my insurance that paid out, but that of the young lady who rear-ended me. I'm also a USAA member, so that probably factors into things too. AFAIK USAA hasn't handled new bike insurance policies themselves for the past few years.

Sorry to hear about the Zumpo getting stolen, good luck with the new Zumo.

Please check reseller ratings with regard to "Abesofmaine".

Some photo web boards advised peeps to check these ratings before a purchase of a camera etc.

Ride safe,

Last edited by a moderator: