Sometimes My Polishness Sneaks Out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
So I'm installing a new Rekluse Core 3.0 EXP auto clutch in my new WR450F dirt bike. I pull the old clutch plates out as per the instructions and remove what they call the throw out washer to get access to the inner basket that gets replaced with the rekluse unit.

All that goes fine and I have all the new parts soaking in oil ready for the install. I load in the new steels plates along with my original friction plates and the special rekluse pressure plate unit but something doesn't seem right. There is way too much slack in the clutch lever and I had to thread all the adjusters out to the max and then when I pull on the clutch lever nothing seems to happen.

I looking things over and scratching my head trying to figure out what went wrong. It almost feels like the new clutch springs are too compressed. I call Rekluse and talk it over with one of the tech support people. I mention that when I try pulling the clutch lever I can't see or feel and movement in the pressure plate.

I take everything apart again and put a screwdriver against the push rod that is connected to the clutch actuation rod that connects to the clutch cable. When I operate the clutch lever I can feel the rod moving back and forth so that is OK. I then put the throw out washer assembly that fits over the rod back on and try the clutch lever again. No movement. What?? More head scratching. Then I remember, there is usually a little ball bearing that fits inside the throw out assembly that sits on top of the rod. I pull the throw out assembly and have a look and there seems that the ball bearing is missing. I look around for about a half hour and start having very dark thoughts about having dropped the bearing into the motor. Then I remembered putting the assembly in the oil bath. I feel around the bottom of the pan and sure enough I come across a ball bearing. Strangely enough it is just the right size to fit inside the throw out assembly and sit nicely on top of the rod.

So I start putting everything back together and am doing the final torque on the pressure plate springs and that's when I drop my 4mm hex bit into the clutch. Take everything back apart again, fetch the hex bit out and start all over again. Get everything together and notice that one of the set screws that lock the pressure plate adjuster is missing. Spend another half hour trying to figure out where that might have gotten to.

I was just about to give up when I look and notice that the set screw had fallen into a small indent in the top of the throw out adjuster. Take the pressure plate assembly apart again so I can get at the throw out assembly. FInally after about the 6th attempt I was finally able to get everything assembled correctly. I was starting to think this bike was cursed.

I then mounted the new aluminum skid plate to replace the plastic skid plate that Yamaha supplied. Plastic skid plates don't do well against Canadian Pre-Cambrian rocks. We need skid plates of sterner stuff which is why I made a call to Enduro Engineering. The installation of that piece was also another Chinese fire drill that took five times longer than it should have. I cut it down to five times as long instead of six because this time I didn't bother to read the instructions which just confuse me anyways. It ended up I put a rear mounting piece in upside down which threw all the carefully machined alignment off. It was just one of those days where my Polish heritage rears its head.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like a 'Zilla project. I'm glad I'm not the only one Karma hates!

Karma and Murphy with his silly law, without either of them we'd be forced to live boring and mundane lives. Glad you got through it unscathed.

And to think I came into this thread looking for a freshly shined bike, polished like spic and span
rolleyes.gif

That sounds like a 'Zilla project. I'm glad I'm not the only one Karma hates!
FWIW, Karma is not the only one that hates you. Just Sayin'
smile.png

I was actually thinking the entire time I was reading that story, "Wow, this actually happens to other people, not just me!"

I don't know why I bother attempting to work on anything at the house anymore. It usually costs more to fix what I break than the original job would have cost.

I think he shoulda stopped when he noticed the 'road' moving back and forth!
+1

"When I operate the clutch lever I can feel the road moving back and forth so that is OK. I then put the throw out washer assembly that fits over the road back on and try the clutch lever again"

That's one hell of a throw out washer assembly that fits over the road, or do you live on a very small road?
help.gif

I think he shoulda stopped when he noticed the 'road' moving back and forth!
You guys............. I'm blaming that one on my computer that must have been put together by some Polak. Stupid auto correct. It must be the computer because I know I don't make mistakes.

I swear while this job drove me to drink, there was no Forty Creek Whiskey or Manantler IPA involved during the job. Afterwards I celebrated wrestling this task to the ground and found later on that evening that my couch was moving back and forth.

Yeah - misery loves company. I wouldn't call myself a mechanic, that would be far too insulting to the profession. Rather, I'm a parts changer. If somebody put a youtube on it, and our inclined brethren here will write about it INCLUSIVELY, I can follow directions fairly well. But Heaven forbid, something goes wrong and I'm screwed, glued, and laid....

None the less, it can't eat me and I'm not afraid to try. Good on ya for sticking it out!

I figured we were being set up for the idea that "the throw out assembly" had been thrown out. How many Polaks does it take to remove a bolt on a motorcycle? Five. One to hold the wrench still while the other four rotate the bike. Sigh...

Although Billy's smarter than your average bear, his ancestors couldn't spell toboggan, so they shortened the last part of his name to 'ski'.

I'll be doing some minor maintenance on the FJR about an hours worth.

Should only take the rest of the day, 12 hours tops.

..It was just one of those days where my Polish heritage rears its head.
Photographic evidence. Also note the company on the left that he hangs with. It's a nice touch that he has his return address on his forehead, it ensures he returns to the land of Timmy Hortons.

IMG_0815b_zpsdc89ff4f.jpg