Source for windshield hardware

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got my blue tint CeeBailey a little over a year ago, I went out and

bought a set of the little aluminum screws that come in diff colors, so I got blue ones

for about $8. Had more than I needed, but they were cheap enough.

I prefer the allen head + the metal construction.

Vinnie

Vinnie,

I thought the screws/grommets on the windshield attachment bracket were made of those materials so that in a crash they would shear and you wouldn't end up impaling yourself on the windshileld?!? If the screws were more stout, then the shield would be more likely to shatter, leaving a jagged edge that could be fairly dangerous on a tumbling bike.

Hmmm

It's a nice concern. But I bet those aluminum screws would sheer almost as easily as

the plastic ones if someone was going through the shield.

Then again, it would be nice to just bounce off of the shield and back into your seat... :rolleyes:

I thought the screws/grommets on the windshield attachment bracket were made of those materials so that in a crash they would shear and you wouldn't end up impaling yourself on the windshileld?!? If the screws were more stout, then the shield would be more likely to shatter, leaving a jagged edge that could be fairly dangerous on a tumbling bike.
Hmmm...never heard that one before, but, you may be right. Then again, if its an impact hard enough to break the windshield, i would guess it would break off at the point of least resistance which would probably be the drilled holes. I've never heard of anyone getting hurt by sharp edges on a broken windshield which might mean that it is working. They certainly are brittle, though. I've decided to live on the edge and replace the flimsy plastic screws that kept breaking at the most inopportune times with metal ones. I use these - I use the black screws with the wellnuts.

I picked up some black hex head metric screws that do the job from Lowes.

It was nice to keep everything hex head on the bike.

Off the top of my head they were 5mm threads

Word of warning, they are NOT stainless but for me it never rains in San Diego.

They also had a 4 pack of small plastic washers that go under the countless fairing (paint contact) screws for .52 (4 pack)

+1

Get a bunch of extra fasteners and bolts/screws while you are at it. You can't beat Gary McCoy's prices.

As far as metal screws - knock yourselves out. Me, I am not going to second guess the engineering that went into the decision to use the nylon vs. metal screws. That simple.

As far as metal screws - knock yourselves out. Me, I am not going to second guess the engineering that went into the decision to use the nylon vs. metal screws. That simple.
If the engineering was that good, should they break from normal use? :unknw:

If the engineering was that good, should they break from normal use? :unknw:
Perhaps. Or perhaps not.

But for the nominal cost of replacement, who cares?

Bad one out, new one in. That simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the other reasons they use plastic screws on plastic windscreens is that metal fasteners expand and contract from tempeture changes more severly than plastic, so if you tighten down a metal bolt on a plastic part when it is warm, then find yourself in a colder temp later, the "shrinking" fastener could apply too much force to the windscreen and crack it.

Most times metal bolts are used they "insulate" the fit with rubber washers or spacers.

Likely if you get launched through your windscreen in an accident, you would tear the shield off regardless of what type of fasteners you use. The usefull fact here is if you survive this, you have a better chance of NOT having to replace the windshield if you use plastic screws..as they will shear off and possibly cause not damage to the windscreen.

KM

one of the other reasons they use plastic screws on plastic windscreens is that metal fasteners expand and contract from tempeture changes more severly than plastic, so if you tighten down a metal bolt on a plastic part when it is warm, then find yourself in a colder temp later, the "shrinking" fastener could apply too much force to the windscreen and crack it.Most times metal bolts are used they "insulate" the fit with rubber washers or spacers.

Likely if you get launched through your windscreen in an accident, you would tear the shield off regardless of what type of fasteners you use. The usefull fact here is if you survive this, you have a better chance of NOT having to replace the windshield if you use plastic screws..as they will shear off and possibly cause not damage to the windscreen.

KM
The metal screws I use attach to rubber wellnuts. The rubber would, most likely, reduce the force. Quite a few days over the winter in sub 15 degree (f) weather and no cracks.

My stealership told me they use plastic screws so you CAN"T tighten the shield down too much

If I have a get off wherein I go through the shield I will not give a shitt less if the shield ends up needing to be replaced or not (think about it, face first off the front of the bike...who cares about a windshield replacement at that point?) :blink:

so that in a crash they would shear and you wouldn't end up impaling yourself
HJIKY-Wreck.JPG

This FJR collided head-on with a semi. All the windshield screws sheared off and allowed it to ricochet onto the roadway without splintering.

Stef

PS: Sorry about the pretty graphic picture, but it does say more than a 1000 words.