Source for windshield screws?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
OK, so the last time I swapped screens I wore out the heads of the screws.

I had some replacements left over form a kit form my ZX-11 but I've since used them all. I *think* I got those of ebay a long long time ago.

I want to pick up more screws but don't want to pay mama-yama $3 each and wait for them to be ordered.

Any suggestions?

-MD

Ditto on wearing out the screws while changing out screens.

I got a set of replacement screws from University Motors...I always go there as a first choice for all things FJR.

Well, the Lowe's here carries a good selection of plastic screws. I don't know if any of them are the correct thread, but it's worth a look before you order originals.

Also, what does UM charge?

i've popped the heads off of 3 so far when using the electric screw driver for more than removing them. i then forgot to stop soon enough and POP!

mammy yammy's price is cheaper than running all over town trying to find the right combo at nearly $3/gallon for regular.

Well, the Lowe's here carries a good selection of plastic screws. I don't know if any of them are the correct thread, but it's worth a look before you order originals.
Next to nothing, and the whale jizz is cheap too. You want parts that fit and match; don't worry about a few dollars. (dimes)

Just curious, is there a particular reason (other than some very marginal weight saving) that Yamaha uses the plastic screws?

Freakin bizarre - I just got back to the office after being at Specialty Tool looking for these (and immediately saw your post) - they didn't have them.....

Just curious, is there a particular reason (other than some very marginal weight saving) that Yamaha uses the plastic screws?
I was wondering the same thing - what's up with that? I have been very careful in swapping shields, but one of them is pretty dinged - I'd like to order a complete new set to have on hand...

Oh yes. Clicky here for my experience on the subject and lot of good responses.

Please use that thread (or make another) to talk about the validity of using screws and leave this thread to source questions....which I concur on University Motors. I ordered 3 myself to replace one I stripped beyond use and still have several spares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop using a philips screwdriver as these aren't philips heads. Try using the screwdrive in the tool kit as it comes down to the necessary point.

jim

Freakin bizarre - I just got back to the office after being at Specialty Tool looking for these (and immediately saw your post) - they didn't have them.....
I was wondering the same thing - what's up with that? I have been very careful in swapping shields, but one of them is pretty dinged - I'd like to order a complete new set to have on hand...
I had always assumed Yamaha chose plastic screws for the screen because in the event of a crash you have a break-away point to keep your neck safe in the event you go over the handlebars.

PS Renegade... I ordered a new set about 2 months ago from my local shop... they were 71 cents apiece. just over 5 dollars including the governor's share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes. Clicky here for my experience on the subject and lot of good responses.

Please use that thread (or make another) to talk about the validity of using screws and leave this thread to source questions....which I concur on University Motors. I ordered 3 myself to replace one I stripped beyond use and still have several spares.
How much for said screws from uMotors?

I have no doubt they will be the cheapest for OEM screws but I just don't think that OEM screws are necessary here.

Example: OEM (plastic) windshield screw for ZX-11 was $3.00 each. I bought a kit on ebay that had 12 screws PLUS the rubber grommets for ~$6.00 plus a couple bux for shipping. The screws (while the heads are just a tad different) are the same length and thread wise.

Don't recall. A buck or two I think. Call and ask or go to their website and look it up on their fiche online. They're great folks to talk to.

You can also order them from BikeBandit.com for 0.71c each.

It's the item 3 on that link if i'm not mistaken.

Didn't get around to order some yet, but i will have to soon as well.

Allrighty...

I just bought a package of 100 from Small Parts, Inc.

These are M5 .8P x 20mm L screws...

$5.00 ish for 100 or a nickel each, which means I can toss the bad ones at will.

If anyone needs 1 or two, let me know and I can pop them in the mail to you for the cost of postage. ;)

Stop using a philips screwdriver as these aren't philips heads. Try using the screwdrive in the tool kit as it comes down to the necessary point.jim
Good point. Alot of people dont realize that there are different styles and sizes of phillips screws. In a nutshell, some phillips have a pointed end some have a more rounded end. (This isn't the technical description, just the laymens comparison). If you use a phillips with the pointed tip in a screw that wasn't designed for it, it will round out quite easily.

- Colin

Replaced all mine with stainless steel screws, never had a problem since.
And you probably won't have a problem until....

You have a get-off and realize that those nylon screws allow the windshield to pop off when your nads or some other part of your body impacts it.

This point has been proven by more than a few folks who are thankful that the screw heads do give way. I was going to do the same until EOM last year when a fella had a mild get off and was very lucky. Other than some scratches he and his bike were fine. We all donated a screw and put his winshield back in. Had they been held on with stainless, not sure he'd walked away and or rode the bike home with a shield.

Part # 5JW-28354-00-00, Screw, Cowling 1.....according to my invoice, 53% of the $.75 retail price (each) from UM.

Doesn't everyone order 5 of these kind of fasteners when they make their original parts order? Uhm...you did order a couple of each style of the "twistlock" (called "rivets" on the Yamaha parts fiche) fasteners and cowling screws, too, didn't you? Sheesh...kids! <_<

Oh...wait a minute...you've mver had one come loose and fall off while you were on a trip. :dribble:

I broke one off, so I went to Lowes ans got a nylon, close to the size and ran a die over it. It didn't actually cut threads, just re-arranged em enough to work till a replacment arrived.