Spare Key Blanks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Taken to obtaining Yamaha blanks from dealer after key shop blanks a little rough in gas cap and luggage lock operation. Took someones suggestion and stashed my remaining factory key (bent the other one) on the ring with the numbered tab from Yamaha. Should you be able to order replacement keys from dealer using number on tab that came with the original bike keys? Parts person did not seem to know.

Keys can be made using the old school key tracer or using a hand or machine punch which punches the blanks using the number on the key code tab.

The key tracers depend on a proper master and blank key setup and something better than a slovenly lazy operator. Even after an accurate trace the key needs to be carefully brushed to remove burrs. Rough and notchy key action is not uncommon.

The punch is setup by entering the key code numbers (varies as to how) then it simply punches the key profile in its entirety with one stroke. It makes very accurate patterns, then with a little brush action it is as good as a factory punched key.

I cut keys all day long at my hardware store, have also cut my FJR backup keys also, no biggie. All's they (ur dealer or reliable key cutting outfit, locksmiths included!) needs is a Yamaha depth gauge if they cut by numbers. The numbers equals the length of the pins/tumblers. So if they have the Yamaha depth guide (it will align right up to the key blank) it is no problem. Your dealer will replicate the cuts for both sides, test it and be done. Try it both ways! (turn it 180).

Cutting from a numbered guide is trickier than the trace (drag and follow method) most use when having the master available. Good luck but I'm not thinking you'll need too much of it!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha dealers are not REQUIRED to be able to cut keys.

Honda dealers were when I was a dealer. Most had a cheesy little expensive kit that didn't work well.

We sent our customers to a local locksmith that could cut by code or by master. We did always stock a few blanks.

I've never had trouble with hardware store cut keys for my Yamaha's.

Here's the key blank codes that will work. I bought several of the Ilco's from ebay for a $1 and had them cut at the hardware store, worked perfect, but they were the longer ones.

Ilco YM63
Taylor X248
Curtis YM63
Silca YH35R

JamesW, These guys have Yamaha key stock blanks in stock. They also have Givi key stock blanks.

https://www.bonafidelock.com/home.html

Or at least they do in their Kirkland store.

Kirkland-Redmond 425-820-7175 12555 116th Ave NE #10 Kirkland, WA 98034 M - F 8:30 AM TO 5:00PM
A little closer, Elite Lock just down from me has the proper blanks and (eye candy!) to cut keys and entertain at the same time...
smile.png

--G

Last edited by a moderator: