Sparking sound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebduke

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm happy to be a new owner of a 2004 FJR ABS. I bought it from a guy who owned it it's whole life and supplied every bit of paperwork from every service it's whole life. The bike is in perfect condition but has developed an odd sound recently and I'm not sure what it could be. At first I was thinking exhaust leak, but it seems to be intermittent and at times it changes and sounds a little different or louder. It definitely seems most noticeable at idle and somewhat goes away above 2-3k rpm. When I downshift however, if rev matched, it sounds almost like it's sparking. I captured both sounds in the video attached. The sparking sound is much worse when out riding and downshifting. I'd like to figure it out on my own if possible, but am willing and ready to take it in if need be. The bike also has a hard time starting randomly. I'll get on the bike, go to start it and it turns over but doesn't start. It'll take maybe 3 tries and then starts. Sometimes it kicks right over and starts perfectly. Not sure what these could be, but any help is appreciated. Can't wait for big adventures on this bike in the future. Ride safe!🤙

Attachments

• 20240814_202913.mp4
    31.4 MB
I think it's been many, many years since somebody uttered these words on this forum.....but you *may* have one of the dreaded Tickers from the words you type. Or if you're lucky a cam chain tensioner.

2005 and earlier Gen 1 motorcycles had a fair number of bikes have sub-optimal valve guide seals that would starve stems of oil and and would develop into full-blown valve-slapping-the-guide-its. Search on "ticker" and "valve guides" and you'll see many older threads about it.

That said, it could (and hopefully is) a cam chain tensioner instead. They weren't super force wielding, flabby around the middle, and springs fail. If it hasn't been replaced on a 2004 before, I'd get a new one that has a green and/or blue dot on it. I had to do this with my 2005.

But then I listen to the mp4 and it doesn't have that metal-on-metal sound of valve guides. The when you go to idle the cam chain doesn't sound like it's flapping. But there is a weird skip or a misfire maybe.....

------

The other one about not starting sometimes. Usually they're ones that sit for a long time or weird temperature changes, but check out 'fast starter syndrome'.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/fjrf0-issue-diagnotics-threads.179914/

By the way, all three of things are linked in that thread. It's truly the greatest hits of issues that are infrequent with Yamaha, but do happen sometimes.

Hard to say from the video. You described it a sparking, but could it also be described as clicking?
On the bottom right side of the fuel tank, take your finger and push the rubbery seal out of the way and using a flashlight look straight down at the Cam Chain Tensioner mounting flange for a colored paint dot (blue or green).
If no color dot that would be the original CCT. The original equipment Gen 1 CCTs were known to be weak.
That may cause the cam chain to rattle. The rattle would be louder on the right side of the engine if that is the case.

You didn't say how many miles on the scooter.
Unless you have maintenance records that say a valve check has been done and / or the CCT changed, it might be time for that maintenance.

dan

I think it's been many, many years since somebody uttered these words on this forum.....but you *may* have one of the dreaded Tickers from the words you type. Or if you're lucky a cam chain tensioner.

2005 and earlier Gen 1 motorcycles had a fair number of bikes have sub-optimal valve guide seals that would starve stems of oil and and would develop into full-blown valve-slapping-the-guide-its. Search on "ticker" and "valve guides" and you'll see many older threads about it.

That said, it could (and hopefully is) a cam chain tensioner instead. They weren't super force wielding, flabby around the middle, and springs fail. If it hasn't been replaced on a 2004 before, I'd get a new one that has a green and/or blue dot on it. I had to do this with my 2005.

But then I listen to the mp4 and it doesn't have that metal-on-metal sound of valve guides. The when you go to idle the cam chain doesn't sound like it's flapping. But there is a weird skip or a misfire maybe.....

------

The other one about not starting sometimes. Usually they're ones that sit for a long time or weird temperature changes, but check out 'fast starter syndrome'.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/fjrf0-issue-diagnotics-threads.179914/

By the way, all three of things are linked in that thread. It's truly the greatest hits of issues that are infrequent with Yamaha, but do happen sometimes.
Thank you very much, I may start with the can chain tensioner and see if it takes care of it. How big of a fix is the valve guide issue?

Hard to say from the video. You described it a sparking, but could it also be described as clicking?
On the bottom right side of the fuel tank, take your finger and push the rubbery seal out of the way and using a flashlight look straight down at the Cam Chain Tensioner mounting flange for a colored paint dot (blue or green).
If no color dot that would be the original CCT. The original equipment Gen 1 CCTs were known to be weak.
That may cause the cam chain to rattle. The rattle would be louder on the right side of the engine if that is the case.

You didn't say how many miles on the scooter.
Unless you have maintenance records that say a valve check has been done and / or the CCT changed, it might be time for that maintenance.

dan
It's got 54k miles on it. The sound when idling is more of a click, the other sound is somewhat of a spark like sound. I will take a look at the cct later, thanks for the tips! I can look back into the records and see if there has been any work done on the tensioner or valves.

Thank you very much, I may start with the can chain tensioner and see if it takes care of it. How big of a fix is the valve guide issue?
Very BIG if true. It's been nearly 20 years since the issue was first sorted and Yamaha even did a technical bulletin and replaced or rebuilt heads because of it. We guestimated 5-15% of bikes or so on the forum. However, I doubt Yamaha would still honor it as they advised owners back. You'd be the first in probably a decade.

It's got 54k miles on it. The sound when idling is more of a click, the other sound is somewhat of a spark like sound. I will take a look at the cct later, thanks for the tips! I can look back into the records and see if there has been any work done on the tensioner or valves.
At 54K you would probably know for sure if it was a ticker by now. Odds are that isn't the problem. Don't jump straight to the worst possible problem.
One minute to peek at the tensioner vs how long to dig through the paperwork??
Don't even have to remove anything on the scooter, unless you have a cover on it.

dan

At 54K you would probably know for sure if it was a ticker by now. Odds are that isn't the problem. Don't jump straight to the worst possible problem.
One minute to peek at the tensioner vs how long to dig through the paperwork??
Don't even have to remove anything on the scooter, unless you have a cover on it.

dan
Thank you! This is very encouraging. I'm fairly mechanically handy so I imagine I should be able to sort out the issue, just needed to know where to start. I will update as I find things. Ride safe out there!🤙

Yeah, not likely a ticker then. They usually manifested in the first 20,000 or so.
I'm very happy to hear replies like this. It's definitely a new sound. I don't remember it happening when I first bought the bike. I had it idling for a while as well as rode it 2 hours home and never heard it. It started shortly after getting back home. I also find it odd that it's inconsistent. Sometimes it will hardly be noticeable, other times it's the only thing I notice. Thanks again, ride safe!🤙