Special Batttery Charger?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
Just reading in the manual that a regular battery charger could damage the battery. I've always used a Battery Tender or similar. What's the deal? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just reading in the manual that a regular battery charger could damage the battery. I've always used a Battery Tender or similar. What's the deal? :unsure:
I think what is meant that a "regular battery charger" (for prolonged use) does not Automatically Turn Off when the Charge is Topped off whereas the Battery Tender DOES TURN OFF and does not overcook the Battery.

I'm sure someone knows if our bikes come with an AGM battery, but if they do a regular battery charger is not good for them(or any AGM battery for that matter). They require one with low AC ripple and no desulfate mode. Also AGM batteries should be trickle charged once their charge level reaches around 85%. It keeps them from overheating and popping. They only have about a tablespoon of electrolyte in them, so boiling it away is not tolerated by them.

Joe

Yes, the factory battery is absorbed glass mat (AGM) and you should use a charger that is made for AGM batteries. I use a Battery Tender Plus because it does specifically say that it is good for AGM bateries.

Where do suggest I put the black/negative clip? Tender instructions say the frame... Why not put it on the black/negative battery post?

Thanks

You need to make sure you're using the right voltage charger too.

Direct connect to both terminals.

Where do suggest I put the black/negative clip? Tender instructions say the frame... Why not put it on the black/negative battery post?

Thanks

The FJR's charging system doesn't baby the battery. It hammers it continuously with a 14 volt regulated output.

A charger with a 14.0 - 14.8 volt regulated output should be used to charge a sealed maintenance free battery.

Where you can get into trouble is using a constant current charger which increases its voltage to keep the current flowing.

Nothing magic about charging a MC battery - AGM or not!

1) DO NOT CHARGE AT A HIGH RATE!!! A cheap car battery charger may charge at 20 amps or more which will quickly kill a relatively low capacity battery. 2 amp charge rate is more appropriate.

2) DO NOT OVERCHARGE! Ideally a charge for a lead acid battery of any sort is constant current at no more than 1/10 of the capacity in ampere hours. i.e. 20 Amp hr battery should be charged at 2 amps. The charge rate should switch to constant voltage as the battery approaches full charge tapering to essentially 0 amps as you approach final voltage - a bit over 14 V

This is the kindest way to treat your battery but they will take a bit of abuse.

Ross

Just buy an Optimate or Ctek electronic charger. Park up in winter, connect charger, disconnect spring.

Andy