Speed Bleeders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsipper

Reaction score
Has anyone (non ABS) changed out brake and clutch bleeders to these for ease of maintenance bleeding? Any problems?, comments?--I know not to overtighten...

T'sipper

I went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up a 1-man bleeder kit for about $7. It's the same concept as a speed bleeder (one way valve) and you don't have to run your system dry to use it, unlike the conversion to Speed Bleeders. It has a tube that goes over the bleeder. The tube goes into a check valve, and the check valve is incoporated into the screw top for the small container. The container has a magnet on it and i stick it on the axle. Works like a charm.

https://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail....rtnumber=T71658

It's the same concept as a speed bleeder (one way valve) and you don't have to run your system dry to use it, unlike the conversion to Speed Bleeders.
Randy,

when I changed to the speed bleeders I did not have to run the system dry. I just swapped the new bleeders for the stock ones and then flushed the lines with new brake fluid. No need to run the system dry and a very clean procedure.

Randy,
when I changed to the speed bleeders I did not have to run the system dry. I just swapped the new bleeders for the stock ones and then flushed the lines with new brake fluid. No need to run the system dry and a very clean procedure.
Interesting. Would have thought it would have spewed brake fluid out when you took the bleeder out.

Would have thought it would have spewed brake fluid out when you took the bleeder out
Fill a glass with water, insert straw, cover straw end with finger and remove straw. Water (should) remain in the straw. Essentially the same principle with the brake lines when the brake reservoir cover is ON. If the cover is OFF when the bleed screw is removed you will have a big puddle of paint removing fluid PDQ :flood:

Alan

Fill a glass with water, insert straw, cover straw end with finger and remove straw. Water (should) remain in the straw. Essentially the same principle with the brake lines when the brake reservoir cover is ON. If the cover is OFF when the bleed screw is removed you will have a big puddle of paint removing fluid PDQ :flood:
Alan
Gotcha. Guess I thought there would have been a little bit of pressure on it. IIRC, when you initially open a bleeder, there's some pressure and that kicks some fluid out, so, to relieve the pressure, you would put a hose on the bleeder, open the bleeder, pull the lever back to the bar, hold it there somehow, then switch the bleeders. Maybe that's cause I always open the bleeder with the cap off. Makes sense. Certainly not the first time for me being wrong.

An open bleeder will slowly dribble a tiny amount even with the cover on the reservoir. The amount will be small enough that if you setup the parts and tools first you will have time to swap the std bleeder with the speed bleeder and only have a little dribbling. The reason it dribbles is because the brake pistons will retract as the fluid leaks. Once the pistons stop moving the fluid dribble will almost completely stop. If you could block the pistons so they can't move there should be no leaking at all.

[Leave the cover on the reservoir, attach a Mityvac with bleed bottle to the bleed screw; open the bleed screw; draw a vacuum and the pistons will magically retract. This is an alternative to prying the calipers open. Fiddly but functional.]

Alan