Split: Synchronizers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What tool please?
Right now the go-to tool is the Morgan Carb Tune.

IIRC, we have discussed plug life here on the Forum, I'm pretty sure. The consensus seems to be that aging plugs will not suddenly leave you stranded, you probably won't notice the difference between old plugs and new plugs and it makes sense to change the plugs when it is convenient while doing other maintenance.

What may be just as useful is to swap plugs between cyl 1 & 2 and 3 & 4, then the next time change the plugs. Really. The FJR uses a double ended coil causing one plug to fire from center electrode to side electrode and the other to fire from the side electrode to the center electrode. Swapping the plugs evens out the electrode erosion. Electrode erosion = plug wear out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Motion Pro tool from Bob's Cycle Supply for 99.00 for the throttle body sync. I live close to Bob's so I drove over and picked one up. I just use a spark plug socket and a socket extension to remove the plugs. A trick I think I read here was to use plastic tubing (hose) that fits over the spark plug top to lower the plug into the hole. I am able to start threading the plug using the 12" piece of hose. That allows me to start the plug and get it finger tight without a large risk of cross threading them.

I think the Morgan carb tune only sells direct. Ships from UK. They say 10 days and ~$100 shipped to your door.

Customers from USA

Every day we send Carbtunes to the USA. Have a look at the testimonials to see how many come from happy customers in the US.

Our business is based in the UK so all prices are in £ sterling or British pounds. The total cost delivered airmail for the 4-col Carbtune is £60 British pounds. (£57 + £3 airmail USA) That's about $US100. That's the total price delivered airmail to your postal address.
If you want the toolpouch as well it's only £7 extra (separate price £12 pounds) to make the 4-col Carbtune and Toolpouch £67 delivered. (£64 + £3 airmail)

We charge your card in £ British and your credit card company converts and charges you in $US. I get paid in pounds and you pay your bill in $US.

It's simple. And because it's under the minimum import tax value you don't pay any import duty or customs charges.

The Carbtune is sent airmail and takes about 10 working days to reach you.

Carbtune is what I have and it is convenient. You don't have to worry about ingesting the rods into the engine when you wack the throttle closed too fast, but I think it is slightly less sensitive (and less accurate) as compared to one of the liquid types.

Lots of folks make their own 4 channel manometer using ATF in the tubes. Because of the light weight of the fluid you need to make it fairly tall, but that also increases the precision of the gauge. If you'll always only be using it in your own garage, and portability is of no consequence, that is probably the best way to go.

Last edited by a moderator: