SPOT 3 Mounting Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am slowly starting to farkle my '08 for increased use as the miles increase on the '05. The Centec AP-1 is now wired and awaiting hook-ins. (Thanks Jim)

Took me forever to find out why the heck it had 8 hook-ins and 5 fuzes, since I bought it used without instructions. I finally found the answer in a

customer review:

The 1st and 8th post are to the 1st and 5th fuzes respectively, while Fuzes 2-4 have 2 hook-in post(s) per fuze. Correct (?)

Now I am trying to organize my farkles in a way that is best.

I was under the (Wrong?) impression that the SPOT would signal through plastic or cloth i.e. Clothing or side case, Trunk … (Just with more battery power lost)

But… the instructions say Face up, Signal is below logo, Clear view of sky. The SPOT3 also has a USB cable power options, but it loses its waterproof ability

with the cables hooked into it.

Now my plans WERE to mount the SPOT3 in the Gen 2 (FJR) glove box. My thinking was it has a power source that I could place a USB adapter into, and thus

the SPOT3 and wiring would be sealed in from the rain. I thought the plastic lid of the glovebox would be just fine for the signals to transmit through. Is this incorrect

thinking?

Now I am leaning towards a mounted/sealed plexiglass container (Possibly a pelican) for the SPOT3- and cable to the glovebox. OR

Cutting a window in the glovebox lid and use a clear plexiglass cover. By adding a elastic band I could then see the device and have quick access to it.

I do not have the SPOT3 w/ the USB cable to assist me in planning. So if you have the SPOT3 or knowledge of one…

How did you mount yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not what you're looking for, but I mount my SPOT 1 unit on a Garauld Reservoir Bracket -- usually on top of my radar detector box. Spot 1's are battery-powered only, and for me a set of lithium AA's last for 14-18 days of continuous, 20-hour-a-day use. I always carry an extra set of batteries on the bike, but it would be nice to have the option of plugging it in for extended use.

It's not what you're looking for, but I mount my SPOT 1 unit on a Garauld Reservoir Bracket -- usually on top of my radar detector box. Spot 1's are battery-powered only, and for me a set of lithium AA's last for 14-18 days of continuous, 20-hour-a-day use. I always carry an extra set of batteries on the bike, but it would be nice to have the option of plugging it in for extended use.
I have no problem mounting a Gen 1 or 2 SPOT, But the added challenge on the 3 is to use the USB power option and keep it waterproof.

I would try running it inside your top case. Fairly simple to run power into a Givi (assuming you have one on the '08). I ran BubblerGPS on my cell phone while it was inside my Givi and it recorded GPS bings fine. I have a power outlet in there.

For my SPOT (which is a spot 2), I keep it on me. For me, it's the "oh crap" moment SOS. When the bike has become a debris field 200' long, good luck trying to find it if you are injured. That's my just my take on it - the spot's primary role for me is not to show people where I am, but rather to call for the Calvary if it's needed.

Mine's coming next week. Coming from a Gen 1 I'd sometimes mount in my leg pocket, but was hoping it would fit even more easily and transmit through the layer of nylon.

I would try running it inside your top case. Fairly simple to run power into a Givi (assuming you have one on the '08). I ran BubblerGPS on my cell phone while it was inside my Givi and it recorded GPS bings fine. I have a power outlet in there.
For my SPOT (which is a spot 2), I keep it on me. For me, it's the "oh crap" moment SOS. When the bike has become a debris field 200' long, good luck trying to find it if you are injured. That's my just my take on it - the spot's primary role for me is not to show people where I am, but rather to call for the Calvary if it's needed.
If it transmits from inside the case thats a thought since I am running USB into the top case anyway for cell phone charging and lap top computer power/charging. BUT… as in the Haul Rd. experience -

That top case is the first to become dislodged and they can tumble quite a ways from bike and body.

Mine's coming next week. Coming from a Gen 1 I'd sometimes mount in my leg pocket, but was hoping it would fit even more easily and transmit through the layer of nylon.
Even if you use battery option, they reportedly have a longer battery life. And rechargeable battery option is there.

Did you get the $99 deal or find a better offer?

I looked and asked around...couldn't find anything less than $149 shipped.
weirdsmiley.gif

weirdsmiley.gif
I got an offer awhile back for $99

Just search my email cause I remembered a rebate, but I see it expired 9/30/13 Here:

‎www.findmespot.com/Gen3Rebate/SPOTGen3_50Rebate_tearsheet_FINAL.pdf

Maybe they will extend it for you (?) OR

I work in the Post Office and could post mark your letter to say 9/25/13 put some muck on the letter and attach an apology letter from the post office saying

it was lost.
no.gif

weirdsmiley.gif
Maybe you can post some info/pics on it. Real interested in the cord that comes with it for USB. Length, how the device looks with cord attached …

Ran my Spot 3 on the dash of my truck last week with no problems both on battery and USB. The cable is only about a foot long but is micro USB so any cable of that type should work. 3BR makes some water resistant cables on the big end if that helps? The cord comes off the lower back of the unit poking straight out but I don't have the ram mount to see if works with the cable plugged in. Could probably be modified without too much drama.

I gave up on the idea of running it on bike power since I envision the real need arising after we have parted ways.