SPOT Messenger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
Who uses the SPOT (Satellite Personal Tracker) and what is your opinion of it?

I am considering buying one of these. It looks like a nice piece of equipment to have. But on the same note, it might turn out to be just another "Toy" I feel the need to have.

These little devices are becoming more popular each day. Other than riding motorcycles, I enjoy taking my ATV's way out into the Arizona deserts, just to get away and be by myself or a couple friends. I can see where the SPOT would come in handy for that type of use. If you experience a breakdown or accident 25 miles out in the desert, you are in real trouble if you can't get a cell phone to work. Everything starts looking the same really quick.

But what about using it while riding? Nobody wants to suffer a wreck, but they do happen. But in an accident serious enough to render you unable to walk away, will the SPOT suffer damage also and possibly not work. Being able to track your routes via satellite and see it later online is cool as is your family or friends having the ability to see pretty much exactly where you're at, at any given time (unless you don't want anyone to know where you are not suppose to be). Many of the new cell phones have the ability to send out a GPS signal.

I'd sure like a little feedback from those of you that already use the SPOT. What are your feelings about having it? Have you used it much? Where is the best place to purchase one and what can I expect to pay for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from a solo cross country trip and the unit worked perfectly. Having this gave my wife piece of mind that I wasn't dying in a ditch somewhere. I mounted mine on the front brake resevoir by taking off the belt hook that the unit came with and adding velcro. As an added comfort level for me I also wrapped a velcro strap around it. I don't remember who I bought it from from I paid $145 delivered (brought it in March). I also ordered the tracking feature to the service which means that the unit sends positioning signals to the web site every 10 minutes. The service cost me $150 for the year. People back home loved it because they could login and see where I had been and by downloading it to Google earth you can go directly to the road I was on. PM me if you have any other questions and I will shoot you my phone if you like. A worthwhile investment for family and friends piece of mind.

a.jpg

Day1.jpg

Cota95 fixed his picture, assist deleted. SPOT the orange box on the left side of the picture.

Latest posts