SPOT roadside assistance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcfjr

Reaction score
The SPOT personal satellite tracker now has a new option: roadside assistance. For $29.99 a year, the HELP button on your unit summons road side assistance to your location. (When you sign-up with SPOT, you can specify that you have a motorcycle, and they will send a flat-bed truck.)

Here's a link: SPOT Assist Roadside Service

The service is provided by Nation Safe Drivers, which appears to be a collection of independent tow operators. SPOT claims they serve all of the 50 United States and the provinces of Canada.

Some (possible) advantages:

• You can get roadside asssitance even if you're out of cell phone range.
  • The price is pretty reasonable, as these things go.
  • The stated coverage area is impressive; just don't break down in the Yukon.
Some (possible) disadvantages:

• You lose the normal use of the HELP button. This may not be a big deal, since for on-road use (as opposed to backcountry use), you'd rarely have a need to ask for HELP that wasn't related to roadside assistance.
  • It makes the yearly cost of SPOT service even higher. (But, if you do a lot of riding in areas without good cell coverage, and you don't otherwise pay for a separate roadside assistance package, it's not a bad deal.)
  • Who's ever heard of NSD as a provider?
I've got a bunch of rides planned over the next couple of months that have wide stretches outside of normal cell coverage, so I'm seriously thinking of adding this package to my SPOT account. Any thoughts?

If you have AMA MoTow, you can set your SPOT "Help" message to tell whoever it is sent to, to call the MoTow number and give them your position. If you don't have AMA Roadside assistance, go with the SPOT service....

Thanks, Toe. I don't have MoTow, so I'm give the SPOT service a try.

I have AAA with the motorcycle/RV option, and my insurance includes road side assistance, so hopefully someone will cover me where ever I am.

About the only problem with SPOT is that it is a one way service and you get no confirmation that anyone got your message . . . and what if that Roadside Assistance never shows up because of that (or the fact that there simply is no roadside assistance service available where you happen to be).

I can just see the headline . . . "Emaciated skeleton of motorcyclist found astride broken down bike". The rider having turned down the help of a passing motorist on this very lonely stretch of back road with the statement that his tow truck was 'on the way'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm waiting for Onstar to be available for bikes.

Will be great for that day I leave my windscreen up and leave the keys in the ignition.....lol.

Seriously the idea of having sensors to know I crashed and sending emergency services with me uncouncious on the side of a lonely road is a very nice thing.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
About the only problem with SPOT is that it is a one way service and you get no confirmation that anyone got your message . . .
But if you're out of cell range, you don't have too many other options if you've broken down. If you leave your bike on the side of a lonely road and hitch a ride with a passing motorist, it could be gone when you get back...

Maybe Toe's MoTow method is better - you send your SPOT message to your own peeps, who then contact the tow company. You still won't know for sure that someone is on their way, but at least the message went to someone you know, who can be expected to make things happen for you.

Maybe Toe's MoTow method is better - you send your SPOT message to your own peeps, who then contact the tow company.
You could program your SPOT with the number to whatever road service you happen to have. Doesn't have to be AMA. SPOT sends the message you select to the people you select, with a link to a Google Map page of your exact location. You're not tied to their service, other than the messenger part. AMA MoTow is a similarly priced option to SPOT Roadside, except I got it for free by signing up for automatic debit renewal of my AMA membership....