SPOT (+) STM -An overview of how it works

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
I'm a bit late in jumping into the SPOT satellite tracking gig ...but only because I was not overly impressed with the SPOT interface.

But all that has changed with Jason Jonas' "STM" (Spot Trip Manager) which is an amazing way to better utilize your SPOT satellite personal

tracker.

If you are a current SPOT user, and/or are curious as to what STM can do for you, I very much *HOPE* that this overview I put together will

be of help.

**GO HERE:(Clicky)**

https://www.goraiders.org/bike/SPOT_STM/

....RenoJohn

Excellent post RJ. Good enough I might even bookmark!

:rolleyes:
LOL, glad you like it wanker. Ya, STM really takes the SPOT thing to a whole new level. Kinda like upgrading from a schwinn to an FJR. You need to get on-board with it. ...especially now that you're getting into the ADV mode -not to mention hanging out with the bad element (wayne).

Thanks for posting this, it's helping me decide to ditch satellite radio, and put the yearly money towards a SPOT.
With Jason's program you don't need to activate the SPOT tracking unless you just want to.

Keep your satellite radio and just hit the OK button periodically and it will mark your location.

With Jason's program you don't need to activate the SPOT tracking unless you just want to.
Keep your satellite radio and just hit the OK button periodically and it will mark your location.
Ya, that is a good point!
But there are trade-off's. If you want to just update the map with the OK transmissions:

- you need to be disciplined to do so(remember to continually hit the button) ....BUT you also have more flexibility to send transmissions from exactly where you want ..which can certainly be a bonus.

Also, each 'OK' transmissions is sent multiple times so more likely that it'll get through, (vs "tracking" transmissions that are sent just once each time)

The biggest issue IMO with the OK transmissions is that if you plan to use them to update friends/family AND update the map ....if you send enough to keep the map well populated -you're likely bombarding your friends family with more email than necessary.

Still it just depends on how you want to configure your SPOT profile and how you plan to use it ....and the good news is that with applications like STM there are many more options and options are always a good thing.

Also, early on, STM only updated via the 'OK' transmissions, many still think it is that way ...but in fact it now updates tracking transmissions as well (thanks to Fire Eagle)

If you look at the STM site and follow some of the current and past trips ...you'll see many updating the map with just "OK's" ...just as Rick_W describes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this, it's helping me decide to ditch satellite radio, and put the yearly money towards a SPOT.

There is still a $100 fee for the nontracking service, correct? Or does this program eliminate the subscription fee, as well?

There is still a $100 fee for the nontracking service, correct?
Correct

Or does this program eliminate the subscription fee, as well?
No, this program gets it's data from SPOT
The service pays for the satellite access and all that tracking wizzard-ry

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting RenoJohn - it is just the type of farkle I can really into. It may even get my wife into following my trips!