SPOT Tracker billing policies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Folks- I purchased my SPOT device in Sept 2008. It works very well and was happy with the service. The user agreement you have with SPOT is an auto renew for the contract period. Meaning it just hits your CC and they don’t notify you of the upcoming renewal. Which I kind of find deceptive. Well, when they auto renewed me in 2009 I had a credit card stolen and a new CC number as a result. To which I did not update in my SPOT account – since I was a chintzy MoFo last year and just didn’t want to pay for another year of service. I got an email in 2009 that said my CC bombed when they tried to charge it. I thought, fine no harm no foul- I’m ‘ending’ my service anyway.

Well, fast forward a year to now and I got another email saying my credit card on file bombed (again) and that my bill was now for two years service (~$350 bucks)> I said whaaaat!

So… I started to read my user agreement and realized I am in the wrong and it clearly states the auto renewal and the window for cancellation (up to 30 days past the renewal date). So I thought crap I am in this thing for some bucks.

I called SPOT and fortunately I was able to cancel the current invoice for the upcoming year since I was in the cancellation window. They also worked with me on the past due charges, so all is good now.

I just want to throw this out there for a tale of caution. In hind site – I should have read and understood the contract. And I should have done my due diligence when I got the first email that said my CC bombed and really thought about this and what it means.

Scott

That does seem pretty sneaky. I would expect them to automatically cancel if they couldn't get the money. I dislike any device that requires an annual fee to use, and the requirement that the customer has to actively cancel rather than let it lapse makes it even worse.

SPOT claims this as a safety valve to prevent loss of service when you were expecting some to be there. Makes good sense for a safety device even though I dislike this practice in everyday life - to the point of passing on them.

When I need a SPOT I'll get one but will keep this in mind now that you've brought it up. Someone on the KTM Forum had a similar experience recently but ended up paying in full.

SPOT claims this as a safety valve to prevent loss of service when you were expecting some to be there.
I don't buy it. They could make sure that you are aware by sending a couple of notifications. By their reasoning, once I subscribe and pay for one year I would then have their service for free forever as long as I never provide a valid credit card number.

I'm in the security business - we can't just suspend service without formally notifying the client. Some customers believe that simply not paying their bills is a valid cancellation mechanism. It isn't. I need to receive formal notice IN WRITING. Until then the clock must keep ticking.

Consider what would happen if the client's alarm went off and because he didn't pay his bill we didn't dispatch the police. Not only would we be accountable for his losses, I'm not certain my insurance would cover me. How about if he didn't pay and didn't acknowledge the notices we sent? He could simply say he was out of the country and had no intention of cancelling - even if he told me on the phone that he wanted to terminate. Again, it becomes a matter of his word against mine. You must formally cancel any contracts you may have.

Yet I do have a couple of recalcitrant clients who simply don't quite 'get it' and won't formally cancel their accounts and pay for the services they've contracted .

Making it difficult to collect does NOT absolve you of your obligation to pay.

Note that SPOT DID send a notice to the subscriber. He simply chose to ignore it. They were nice not to hammer you for both years - I suppose all they could reasonably ask is that you pay for 30 days past the point of notification. After all, they did reserve space on their server and held an account open for the year - you simply chose not to use it without telling them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the security business - we can't just suspend service without formally notifying the client. Some customers believe that simply not paying their bills is a valid cancellation mechanism. It isn't. I need to receive formal notice IN WRITING. Until then the clock must keep ticking.

Consider what would happen if the client's alarm went off and because he didn't pay his bill we didn't dispatch the police. Not only would we be accountable for his losses, I'm not certain my insurance would cover me. How about if he didn't pay and didn't acknowledge the notices we sent? He could simply say he was out of the country and had no intention of cancelling - even if he told me on the phone that he wanted to terminate. Again, it becomes a matter of his word against mine. You must formally cancel any contracts you may have.

Yet I do have a couple of recalcitrant clients who simply don't quite 'get it' and won't formally cancel their accounts and pay for the services they've contracted .

Making it difficult to collect does NOT absolve you of your obligation to pay.

Note that SPOT DID send a notice to the subscriber. He simply chose to ignore it. They were nice not to hammer you for both years - I suppose all they could reasonably ask is that you pay for 30 days past the point of notification. After all, they did reserve space on their server and held an account open for the year - you simply chose not to use it without telling them.
I in no way was arguing that I did the right thing and SPOT was in the wrong. I was only relaying a cautionary/informational/hey man check this out tale for a product that more than a few MC riders on this board use.

Scott

Consider what would happen if the client's alarm went off and because he didn't pay his bill we didn't dispatch the police....
Like: https://newsone.com/n...of-unpaid-bill/