Spot Tracker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I lost my Spot Tracker this spring. It's a long story. I'd like to replace it; in fact I'd like to upgrade to the new, smaller Spot 2. Does anybody know of a good deal on them? I still have a year left on the service I bought when I bought the lost one, so might as well reactivate it. I know REI and other places have them for about one-fifty, but maybe somebody's seen them at a better price. Thanks.

SPOT-2-Satellite-Messanger-A.jpg

There are some rebate deals going on at dealers but none that are better than each other. Since you still have an active account and lost your SPOT anyway, go on their site and deactivate your old unit and participate in their upgrade program. I think it gets you a $75 rebate on the new unit ($149) and they'll just connect it to the remaining service time you have. Better check that rebate right away....seems to me that I remember it coming to a close soon...could be May 31.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine SPOT2 (and the original SPOT1) from MyLiveTracks.com

MyLiveTracks.com has a special deal worked out with SPOT Inc. where by you get an extra $30 rebate off the standard/fixed SPOT2 price. And the MyLiveTracks rebate is fast and in cash to your PayPal account, unlike the Debit Card or some other BS you get from SPOT or any other companies.

There is also a variable rebate directly from SPOT Inc. depending on whether you just upgrade to a SPOT2 (from any authorized vendor). Note Amazon.com is NOT an authorized vendor for the SPOT Inc. upgrade rebates - go figure. At least that was what SPOT support told me 2 months ago, this may have changed now.

I got this deal at the end of March 2010, so you might want to check if the additional rebate is still available from MyLiveTracks.com

Having dealt with this company twice for my SPOT1 & 2 purchases I have no hesitation to recommend them to anyone, their service is great, the delivery is fast, and the rebate (if still applicable) is quick, cash and BS free.

If the MyLiveTracks additional rebate is no longer available, then might as well buy from Amazon.com since their price is already discounted by $30. Btw, when i was shopping for the SPOT2 upgrade i did confirm with Amazon.com that ALL their units were the "fixed" SPOT2s.

the AMA has a discount for members and e-bay has some decent prices. Is the SPOT 2 any better than Spot 1 vs faster to get a signal and size?

If your a member of REI they are having a 20% off a full priced item last day is tomorrow.
GPS devices are excluded from those 20% off discounts...I tried that when I got my annual rebate packet

Raises hand

How do you lose a GPS tracking device? I mean, it doesn't sound very useful if it can't even locate itself... ;)

I do feel for the dog, though. Poor Spot. :( . Perhaps the tracker was picked up by the ASPCA. Dis you check with the pound? :)

OK...OK, don't know if you've thought about this or not, but maybe you can go to the tracking site and see where you lost it? :p

W2

Just logged into my SPOT Acct. The upgrade offer sucks now. It's only a $25 rebate if you deactivate the old unit and it's only good through tomorrow. If you add services, the rebate grows but you have to keep throwing money at it for that to happen. Originally I think they were offering a $75 rebate but that's no where in sight.

I haven't seen any lately but right before I bought my SPOT last year, there was a Robby Gordon NASCAR deal going where you got the unit for FREE if you signed up for a year with Basic and Tracking. There was another through some other organization, too but both were over when I made the buy. I missed it by a day and I called but they drew the line and wouldn't offer it to me. I think they did that to clearance the SPOT 1 units as the new one was about to be released. You might search the web just in case, though.

Well, the good old forum comes through again. Thanks, everybody. That price at "Ultimatepassage" is the best I've seen, 2Dogs, but I'll call the Spot Tracker site in the a.m. to make sure that site is considered "authorized." The rebate applies only to purchases on or before June 1, so I almost missed it. Otherwise, I guess I'll do REI and get the rebate plus the little members' rebate at the end of the year for the purchase. With the postage, I guess it would be about a "push," and they're good about returns. No, they're GREAT about returns.

WWilly, thanks for the thought, but I didn't have the Tracking feature, so it only registers a location when you push the button. Fact is, I set my tank bag on the tail end of the bike to pump gas and rode 40 miles before I looked down and missed it. :angry2: Stupid, but not my first time.

If you have a smart phone like (Droid, iPhone, etc) then you can run Google Latitude which shows your real-time location on a Google Map. You can also run an application call, "MyTracks" which records your routes and allows you to post them to the web (Facebook, email, Twitter, etc...). These are free services. :clapping:

I have a droid phone (lg eve) the phone itself is great (for the price, and I didn't want to be like everyone else), but IMO "google latitude" sucks. "my tracks" is great if you're hiking in an unknown area, but you have to watch battery life as the GPS is always on. I prefer "instamapper" it's free and does the same thing as a spot. you can e-mail a link to whoever you want and they can see your location via the web. You can set the program to locate you at just about any time limit, which is good, as that saves the battery. (it only turns the GPS on for a max of 30 sec to locate). The great thing about the droid phone is it's not proprietary. I can run multiple programs at once, listen to tunes, and still answer a phone call.

I have a droid phone (lg eve) the phone itself is great (for the price, and I didn't want to be like everyone else), but IMO "google latitude" sucks. "my tracks" is great if you're hiking in an unknown area, but you have to watch battery life as the GPS is always on. I prefer "instamapper" it's free and does the same thing as a spot. you can e-mail a link to whoever you want and they can see your location via the web. You can set the program to locate you at just about any time limit, which is good, as that saves the battery. (it only turns the GPS on for a max of 30 sec to locate). The great thing about the droid phone is it's not proprietary. I can run multiple programs at once, listen to tunes, and still answer a phone call.

I run a Droid A855 and yeah...they have some cool capability but what you phone guys are missing is none of that shit works when your phone can't capture service.

Spot works virtually anywhere in the world.