SPOT Tracker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
I'm having issues with my Gen I SPOT Tracker and SPOT is will to replace it with either another Gen I or the upgraded Gen II. For any of you that have had both, what one should I go with. FYI - I have no issues with the Gen I design.

Thanks,

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
While I haven't had the Gen II unit--it was by choice because I liked the Gen I design better for monster battery life. Only thing I didn't like is that it's not as easy to carry on the body as the Gen II.

Which leads me to the Gen III. I'm seriously considering upgrading to it--at the end of my subscription with Gen I. My understanding is they don't move your subscription time over to another unit...without raising a big fuss. Gen III seems to have the better features, wearable, and better battery hang time.

Gen 1 has much better battery life. Gen 2 is more compact, like Iggy said, but eats up a set of batteries in about a week. It is also supposed to be more powerful so it should function in more remote areas, but I have found plenty of places where my Gen 2 did not register a signal while in tracking mode. If I was shopping today I'd get the Gen 3, which can be powered via a USB port rather than worrying about battery life.

Pathfinder,

Is it just the battery life or why did you not like the Gen II?

"I've had both Gen 1 and Gen 2, I regret the "Upgrade" to Gen 2"

Canadian FJR

I concur on the GEN II. Battery life sucks AND you have to use the expensive lithium. Also have seen sporadic tracking in areas that shouldn't have any problem.

Scott,

I personally did not notice much improvement in tracking from 1 to 2. The size difference isn't that big of a deal with me since I velcro it to a stem mount.

The cost of batteries alone is enough for me to upgrade to the 3. Plus the fact , the battery pack that I buy has 4 batteries in it while the SPOT takes 3, making battery rotation a real PITA. My batteries always seem to go at night right AFTER a refuel, causing either a ceasing of tracking or lost time fumbling in the dark with a battery changeout.

Most of my rides are 10 days, which put the ride or rally a bit longer than battery life.

I've had both Gen 1 and Gen 2, I regret the "Upgrade" to Gen 2. A Gen 3 is in my future for sure for the reasons stated by Iggy and Geezer. (Spot On LOL)
Yep, SPOT on....... I kinda regret the Gen 2 "upgrade" for reasons of battery life...... however, in an emergency, you can use alkalines (good for 3+ days) if you can't find lithiums on the road. One day I'm probably going Gen III, but I'd hang on to a Gen 1 if I had one.

For anyone looking to buy a SPOT 3, I just got a holiday rebate form that makes the price of the device $99.95. You can get it here:
https://findmespot.com/downloads/SPOTGen3_rebate_Holiday_2013_tearsheet.pdf
I got the same ad on an email, then this other email comes in from West Marine with a $50 off rebate PLUS an additional $25 gift card.

SPOT 3 ... Is it time for an upgrade (?)

Then I download the coupon and see it is only $25 off the SPOT 3

OK... here is the right card:

‎findmespot.com/downloads/SPOTGen3_rebate_Holiday_2013_tearsheet.pdf

+ a $25 gift card:

‎content.westmarine.com/documents/pdfs/rebates/11%2025%2013-12%2024%2013%20SPOT%20MFTR%20Holiday%20Rebate%20Form%20Final.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is they don't move your subscription time over to another unit...without raising a big fuss.
I heard a similar story from a friend of mine when she upgraded from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 SPOT. She said it was quite an effort with a lot of time spent on the phone.
I was prepared for the worst when I upgraded to a Gen 2 a year or so ago. As it turns out, it was an absolutely painless transaction. No phone calls or hassles with customer service. I followed the links on the web site with the serial # for the new unit, then deactivated the old unit. No extra charges for anything. I think it took less than 10 minutes.

I certainly prefer the long battery life of the Gen 1. I like the smaller size and extra message feature of the Gen 2. It sure sucks down the batteries, though. Maybe in a year or two I'll upgrade to the Gen 3.

I went from Gen 1 to Gen 3 and really like it. The gen 3 has separate buttons for track and OK, and I can set it to report in more frequently.

Speaking of Gen 1 SPOT trackers... I am willing to give my Gen 1 to a forum member for the cost of shipping. PM me if you are interested.

Will that one strap to my arm?? If so, I'll take it. Been needing to get one, but have to figure out how to run things...Lemme know.

Latest posts