Spring trip from Denver to Moab, UT?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOBBES

Reaction score
regionmap01.gif

I’ve been tossing around the idea of taking an early spring ride to Moab! Most likely would be leaving Denver on a Friday morning and returning Sunday. The route I have been considering is to take I-70 into Utah, then South on Hwy 128 along the Colorado River to Moab. My thoughts have been to camp in town on Friday and Saturday night.

Motorcycle Touring In The Moab Area

Up the Creek Campground

Moab Happenings!

For the return trip, I hope to travel South of Moab to La Sal Junction, then East on Hwy 41 to Naturita Colorado. From here, there is a stretch of Hwy 141 which follows the Dolores River to Gateway, CO. Can't miss checking out the Gateway Auto Museum. From here Hwy 141 eventually connects with Highway 50 near Grand Junction. Retun home via I-70. Will probably stop at Glenwood Hot Springs in an effort to soak the miles away.

Gateway Auto Museum

Glenwood Hot Springs

Certainly timing good weather will be critical! I'm hoping for March, but perhaps not till April.

Interested? Hey, Let's Ride!

Canyon.jpg

I've never been on any of those rodes in Colorado (yet...), but a bunch of us tore all over Utah and hit some of that country last summer at WFO. Good ridin'.

120 and 141 up to Gateway are two of my favorite roads on the planet. Utterly surreal and beautiful. Man you are bringing back some good memories. I need to do them during Nafo.

mem01_11.jpg

Highway 12 Scenic Byway

I've been reading good things about Utah Hwy 12 - Scenic Byway. I am considering adding a couple days to the trip to check this out. Tenatively, my plans are to leave Wednesday or Thursday, April 17. As of now, it looks like I'll be flying solo. Let me know if you have any interest or suggestions.

"Despite the official name, locals refer to this road simply as "The Backbone". We've ridden all over and still find this road to be one of our all time favorites. Leaving Torrey, Utah and heading south the road starts out among high-desert scrub and ascends into juniper tree's and eventually into aspen as it climbs up and over Boulder Mountain. Look to the east for glimpses of the distant red-rock Moab backdropped by the La-Sal mountain range. The road is wrought with corners that are just a little too tight to be called sweepers, but flow well enough to allow for a brisk pace - be careful of free-ranging cattle. After cresting Boulder mountain you'll begin dropping towards the town of Boulder and you'll overlook a sea of rumpled beige rock reaching out to the horizon - this is where the road will soon take you. Be sure to stop in Boulder at Hell's Backbone Grill - fantastic food with the best oatmeal we've ever had. As you continue the road clings to narrow ledges cut impossibly into rock walls before it climaxes at the section that gives the road its nickname of "The Backbone"; a narrow ribbon of pavement follows an equally narrow ridge of rock. The road climbs and drops through the endless expanse of rock, like a scene from the Coyote and Roadrunner cartoons, before the cornering calms down into an average two-lane route a few miles shy of the town of Escalante, Utah. You can run the road in either direction, but we feel the road flows better when ridden from North to South."

Canyon Chasers

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are KILLING ME! Utah 12 is another one of my big favorites! I made a trip through there going to Zion. Got off 70 onto 24. Hit 12 in Torrey

Stop at Cafe Diablo in Torrey ( western edge). It's only open for dinner and a little pricey unfortunately. There's a few cheap hotels in town

I can vouch for the Rattlesnake ( yes rattlesnake appetizer) Cakes and Lamb there. The food is outstanding!

You are reminding me of the many great things I enjoyed while living in Colorado.

Playing in my backyard ,so to speak.

A little suggestion. How about skipping Grand Junction when you hit highway 50, Turn right to Delta, cross the tracks and turn left (133) to Hotchkiss, Paonia etc to Carbondale and on to Glenwood hot springs.

You will go over McClure Pass, and through Redstone.

Still can spend the night in the hot springs.

Bob

A little suggestion. How about skipping Grand Junction when you hit highway 50, Turn right to Delta, cross the tracks and turn left (133) to Hotchkiss, Paonia etc to Carbondale and on to Glenwood hot springs.

Bob
SWCO03_McClurePass.jpg

Good suggestion! I rode two up to Telluride last summer! Soaked in the "Lobster Pot" at Orvis Hot Springs in Ridgway. Highly recommended! On the way home, we took Hwy 92 from the Damn of the Blue Mesa Resevior along the North Rim of the Black Canyon. Awesome! From Hotchkiss, we went over McClure Pass as you suggested. Beautiful ride! Rode through two afternoon rain showers riding down the East side. Somewhat refreshing after a nearly 100 degree day on the Western slope. For this trip, I'm planning to stay at lower elevations, but if the weather is favorable, this may be a good alternative!

BCNP-Canyon.jpg

Bob
Since you are local.........

I'm leaving Vegas on Monday 4/6 and heading to Omaha via southern Utah, Southern CO, and Kansas. No real agenda other than getting to Omaha and then back to CA. Any idea of what the weather should be like? Planning to camp along the way. Cold does not bother me, snow does. Any "shouldn't miss" places in southern Colorado?

Right now my route looks to be 15 - 9 - 89 - 12 - 24 - 95 - 191 - 160 or 50 - then 50 to 77 to Omaha. When I leave Omaha I plan to hit S. Dakota, Wyoming(depending on weather) Idaho, Oregon or Nevada then back into CA.

This is the best source I would use for here. Check out the cameras also.

https://www.cotrip.org/

We had a lot of snow this year, some places got 200% of average. The last report said we are at about 150% of average for this time of year.

The biggest problem you may run into on the passes and high country is the run off. Real sloppy going at times.

The only pass that I can think you may run into minor problems will be Wolf Creek Pass on 160. Slop.

Can't help you with Utah.

I have only been as far west as Moab.

Bob

Since you are local.........
I'm leaving Vegas on Monday 4/6 and heading to Omaha via southern Utah, Southern CO, and Kansas. No real agenda other than getting to Omaha and then back to CA. Any idea of what the weather should be like? Planning to camp along the way. Cold does not bother me, snow does. Any "shouldn't miss" places in southern Colorado?

Right now my route looks to be 15 - 9 - 89 - 12 - 24 - 95 - 191 - 160 or 50 - then 50 to 77 to Omaha. When I leave Omaha I plan to hit S. Dakota, Wyoming(depending on weather) Idaho, Oregon or Nevada then back into CA.
Nice trip you have planned! I’m really looking forward to riding that Hwy 12 in Utah. If it were later in the year, I would suggest CO Hwy 145 from Dolores to Telluride over Lizard Head Pass or Hwy 550 from Durango to Ouray over Coalbank, Molas, and Red Mountain Pass. I must agree with Bob that the mountain passes including Wolf Creek could be a problem this time of year. The snow pack begins to melt and run across the pavement. It can easily turn to ice in the shaded areas. To avoid Wolf Creek, you may consider taking Hwy 84 from Pagosa Springs into New Mexico. NM Hwy 64 from Tierra Amarilla to Tres Piedras is a great stretch of highway and Taos is definitely worth checking out.

152.jpg

TAOS Guide

Stay on 64 E. of Taos and you can ride the wonderful Cimmaron Canyon from Eagles Nest out of the mountains.

On UT 12, in Boulder, the Burr Trail goes out of town toward Waterpocket Fold and is paved for quite a ways and, if you've got the time, will give you a good look at that desert area. There are some ruins to be explored and great views of the Henry Mts. (the last place to be mapped in cont. U.S.).

In Telluride, the old restored hotel on main st. is a B&B and has a hot tub on the roof for guests.

Warnings of melting snow-pack on high elevation passes are right-on.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll plan on 160 to 84 to Taos and 64 out through Kansas before turning north to Omaha.

I appreciate the help. I'm stoked about getting to ride through Utah. The photos I have seen are incedible! Can't wait to experience the area for myself. Going solo means I can do whatever without worrying about anyone else.

We are having a late winter this year. Right now we are having thunder storms here in the valley, and thunder snow storms in the mountains.

Bob

Got back from my ride. Had a blast.
Report and photos here https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=243935
OUTSTANDING! Feel bad that NM Hwy 64, that I suggested, was impassable. Sounds like it worked out anyway. Nice trip! Nice presentation! Thanks for sharing! Thought you might appreciate this FJR!

Police.jpg

I'd love to see them as police bikes over here, but Yamaha is not inclined to support the platform. I keep hearing rumors that Kawasaki is going to get back into the arena with the Connie 14, and that would be very nice. Got to ride one while in Vegas with a powercommander and pipes and it rocked. I've spent time on the police version of the Honda ST1300 and BMW 1200 and they are both nice machines as well, but each has its own issues. For now the Road King is fine by me.

No issues on the highway 64 suggestion. Small detour was no big deal. Beautiful road and one I will return to in better weather.

Well, my trip to Moab finally materialized! I wasn’t able to include UT Hwy 12 into our four day itinerary. Instead, my girlfriend Tracy and I rode two up through Moab to Lake Powell where we rendezvous with some friends on the Mary Rose, a private houseboat moored at Bullfrog.

SD530585.jpg

Friday, May 30, we left Denver around 11:00A. We spotted the usual big horn sheep near Georgetown. We stopped in Vail and strolled through the Betty Ford Botanical Gardens. We ate lunch and fueled the cycle in Glenwood Springs. After crossing the Utah border, we took the Cisco exit 212 to Scenic Byway, UT Hwy 128. We followed the beautiful Colorado River into Moab where we set up camped in town at Up the Creek Campground. We rode approximately 355 miles on day one.

SD530500.JPG

We woke up Saturday, enjoyed breakfast, broke camp and rode the 35 mile out and back Scenic Byway UT Hwy 279, again meandering along side the magnificent Colorado River. We then proceeded to Arches National Park and purchased the $80 annual National Park pass which we plan to make good use of. Due to a tight itinerary, we chose to ride to Double Arch. Described as spectacular, we hiked the short trail to the base of the Arch. Spectacular indeed!

SD530497.JPG

Returning to Moab, we stopped at the natural spring at the junction of UT Hwy 191 and 128 to fill our water bottle and re-hydrate. Here, unfortunately, I noticed I made the mistake of trying to push the limits of my Avon Storms. I must say I am disappointed with the mere 4,000 miles I got out of the rear before showing threads. I had a new Azaro AV45 delivered before we left and was waiting on an AV46 which was on my front porch when we returned home. Well, we rolled back into Moab around 12:30P and found a Yamaha dealership. Unfortunately, they only service atv’s, dirt and trail bikes however, they were able to provide a phone # and directions to a place called Arrowhead Motorsports. There we met a couple locals, tourist, and the owner, Fred Hink, who was hosting a dual sport rally. He only had a Bridgestone BT-002 in a 180/55/17. Oh well, guess I get to rip through a road/race tire for the rest of the trip. He had us rolling again in less than an hour. We are forever grateful to Fred for saving our trip. My front Avon is now showing threads and I am searching for a used Bridgestone 120/70/17 before mounting the new Azaros. I may never purchase another sport touring tire again.

Running short of time, we fueled up the cycle and ourselves and headed south on Hwy 191 towards Blanding. Not knowing when we would get another chance, we opted to take the 70 mile out and back route to Canyonlands NP. Fun road when you are in a hurry. The park was nice but not spectacular. The highlight may have been seeing a wild turkey cross the road in front of us.

SD530506.JPG

_

SD530507.JPG

Our plans were to make the 6:00P ferry from Halls Crossing to Bullfrog and meet our friends at 7:00P. After some triple digit touring, we stopped in Blanding for fuel, then blasted down UT Hwy 95 towards Lake Powell. It was 5:35P when we arrived at the junction of Hwy 95 and 276 where the sign read, Halls Crossing, 50 miles. We had been hauling ass but still came up short of time. Fortunately, we opted to skip the ferry crossing and take the Bicentennial Highway 95 down through Hite then took Hwy 276 south to Bull Frog. Awesome road! Fun to ride! Beautiful scenery! Crossed the bridge spanning the Colorado River at Hite and stopped at the overlook to rest and take pictures. We made it to Bullfrog by 7:00P as planned. Met our friends at the slip, ate dinner and slept on the top deck under the stars aboard the Mary Rose. The trip meter had over 700 total miles on it.

SD530522-2.JPG

Sunday, we woke up and enjoyed breakfast. We helped our friends with some chores, then Chuck, Bob, Cailey, Tracy, and I took a scenic ride on their 16ft runabout to scope out a spot to beach the houseboat. After returning, we chose to ferry the cycle across to Hall’s Crossing while our friends ventured across the bay on the houseboat. Chuck picked us up in the runabout at Halls and we arrived back at the houseboat in time to cool off with a dip in the lake and meet some of our new reptilian neighbors. We enjoyed a steak dinner with our friends that evening and again slept on the top deck under the stars. Fantastic! Thank you Chuck and Carol Baker family and friends. Your hospitality and friendliness was exceptional.

SD530526.JPG

_

SD530532.JPG

_

SD530550.JPG

Monday, we left Halls Crossing at around 9:30A. We rode about 60 miles to Natural Bridges National Monument. About a 10 mile loop with several stops to view some marvelous natural bridges and fantastic scenery. Well worth the visit! From there, we made it to La Sal for a fuel stop in route to CO Hwy 141, a road I’ve always wanted to ride. No disappointments here. The road along the San Miguel and the Dolores River was made for riding and the scenery was magnificent. Here, Tony Llama was demanding a toll before granting passage across the Dolores. We stopped in Gateway around 2:00P for lunch and visited the Gateway Auto Museum. Perhaps my favorite was the 1967 Mustang Shelby GT 500 Fastback however all of them were a feast for the eyes. Highly recommended! We left Gateway around 4:00P and stopped for fuel again in Parachute. We arrived in Denver around 8:00P. The trip meter read 1300 miles. The weather was great, no rain, no mishaps nor disagreements with law enforcement. 100% fun, successful journey!

SD530563.JPG

_

SD530582.JPG

_

SD530578.JPG

Ride fast, Take chances!

HOBBES