St. Lawrence Coast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UweRoss

Reaction score
I'm planning this trip for some time this summer:

NS-2008-Plan.jpg

Any feedback regarding the route would be appreciated.

I'm particularly interested in the segment from Moncton up to Gaspe and then southwest to Quebec City and Montreal. Anyone ever ridden that?

Thanks in advance!

-Uwe-

Last edited by a moderator:
You might consider a hop over to PEI for a day ie take the ferry at Pictou and return via the Bridge or vice versa. Also a visit to Louisbourg is worthwhile. How long are you taking?

I have no fixed time limit for this trip, but figure it will take about two weeks at a relatively leisurely pace.

I just read up on PEI. I didn't realize it was a separate province. Given the proximity and accessibility via the Confederation Bridge, that makes it a must do.

Thanks!

-Uwe-

I'm assuming you know about the ferry that runs from Portland Maine to Yarmouth. It's an overnight from Portland to Yarmouth, leavse near sundown and gets to Yarmouth early AM, it would get you to the good parts quicker...

PEI was a nice side trip when my riding bud & I did Nova Scotia a few years ago. We happened to be there when the potato plants were blossoming, a nice not overpowering perfume. Lots of potato fields up there, it's 40-50 percent of their income IIRC. You can't miss the PEI potato museum !!! (I'm kidding, although it actually wasn't bad).

Most memorable stop in Nova Scotia was Lunenberg, I'm a sailing nut & there was a tall ships weekend when we were there (12 boats), also the Fisheries of the Atlantic museum was really good (the Bluenose lives there at the museum, unless they're away on a sail). Also enjoyed a couple of days in Halifax. Things were starting to get pretty sparse up around Moncton way.

This years trip is probably going to be the St Laurence seaway ride, like you're planning, without the Nova Scotia or PEI stops (BTDT). A friend that did the ride told us to make sure we plan our stops for gas mileage because there isn't a gas station every 20 miles like down here. His key word was 'desolate' when he was giving my friend the ride report. We're taking tha camping gear JIC, but probably will not use it. Current plans are for July Weeks 2/3 or July weeks 3/4, fluid because of riding buds scheduling.

Good luck & have a good ride !

EDIT

Just re-read subject post, 2 weeks is not enough time unless you plan to spend most of the time in the saddle. We seemed to enjoy Nova Scotia & it's wonderful people more the slower we went...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I know about the ferry, but I'd like to see the coast of Maine.

Most of the time will be spent in the saddle. It is first and foremost a ride; i.e. more about the journey and than spending time at any specific destination. Since I added PEI, I'm showing 4230 miles. That's about 300 mile a day, which is almost exactly what we've averaged on previous tours. So I think two weeks is about right. But if it ends up taking longer, that's OK too. My wife and employees have gotten somewhat used to the "I don't know exactly when I'll be back" thing.
cool.gif

-Uwe-

OK if you're doing the slog up through Maine & NB, check out this Bay of Fundy site:

Hopewell Rocks

St John is a nice city with lots of arts & entertainment happening all summer:

St John Page

Looks like you're doing the whole NS enchilada, so, if you like fresh scallops, plan for a lunch & dinner stop in Digby, NS.

Digby NS

Since you're doing the NS loop, Cape Breton National Park is breathtaking if you're into scenery & wildlife. Up in Cheticamp & Ingounoush, plan for some time in bars listening to Acadian music & shooting the breeze with the locals, they're a great bunch. Ingonish is Scots & Cheticamp is French, IIRC.

Cheticamp, NS

Ingonish

Have a great time !