ST vs FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like he did a valid and thorough comparison and the best bike, for him and his wife, won.

Interestingly, one of the magazine comparisons of the two also said the wife preferred the FJR saddle to the ST.

Both are great bikes and we are lucky to have two such fine choices.

Just can't believe he said the ST looks were better.

I guess if you like scooters. Yuk!

Sherri liked the FJR best too. She actually is the one that bought it and surprised me with it when I opened the garage on my way in from work!

I'm in the process of selling a ST1300 and buying a FJR. I can honestly say that I've enjoyed every ride I've ever had on my ST. The shortest ride I ever take is about 150 miles at a time, and 250 - 350 mile rides (in five-six hours) are not uncommon. Is one bike better than the other? Maybe. But a good ride on either of them is a good ride.

I'm in the process of selling a ST1300 and buying a FJR. I can honestly say that I've enjoyed every ride I've ever had on my ST. The shortest ride I ever take is about 150 miles at a time, and 250 - 350 mile rides (in five-six hours) are not uncommon. Is one bike better than the other? Maybe. But a good ride on either of them is a good ride.

I traded my 2003 ST1300ABS in October for a 2006 FJr "A". After adding a Sargent seat, Heli riser, PIA bulb, BMW grips, Honda fairing edge kit, and a +6" wider windsheild, the ST was a really nice long distance bike. Very smooth, reasonably fast, and pretty nimble for 700lbs when in motion.

I hated the sound of the bike, the fact that it looked stupid without the bags, and the goofy Buck Rogers futuristic styling.

I don't expect the FJR to be perfect, but I think it will be a better choice for me. If it ever gets here, that is.

From what I have read the ST1300 still has problem with heat whereas the 2006 FJR, from my own experience, has completely rid itself of that nasty problem.

There is also about a 100 pound difference in the weight of these bikes with the ST1300 the heavy weight!

John

From what I have read the ST1300 still has problem with heat whereas the 2006 FJR, from my own experience, has completely rid itself of that nasty problem.
There is also about a 100 pound difference in the weight of these bikes with the ST1300 the heavy weight!

John
Just got back from Big Bend. The ST I rode on part of a day had the fairing extenders and felt cool. The FJR was hotter but it was only in the 90s so the super cooker was not yet engaged.

Roll on my 06AE.

Gosh I love these ST vs. FJR threads....I have owned both and appreciate them both. The FJR is just more fun but my ST was more comfortable. I replaced the ST with a BMW LT for 2 up and dont miss the ST because of it. The FJR is still more fun... :) and if I could only own one motorcycle....that would be the FJR.

Different strokes for differnt folks!....and did I mention that the FJR is just more fun?

Ride Safe,

Ron

it is one of those things for me -

I love riding the ST - always have. Was in the market for one in 99 when I bought my KLT. I didn't buy the St for two reasons:

1. kept hearing that a new ST was on the way -- took a few years, but finally it showed up

2. The ST was functional to ride - but for me it wasn't FUN.

ST always got a bad reputaion for not having any "soul". Too me - that meant that it didn't have any faults that people always excused with "that is part of its 'soul'".

Then it turned out that the new improved ST wasn't such an improvement - so I looked elsewhere -

My favorite other bike is still the BMW GS -

if it weren't so damned UGLY.

Man it almost sickens me to read the ST forum. Some haven't rode the FJR but diss it intensely. The ones who thingk the ST will outrun the FJR are smoking crack. My neighbor just bought an ST and hates the heat and we live in a moderate to cool climate of San Fran bay area. But he sits upright and has protectiona and doesn't care about the power and handling.

I too am in the process of transitioning from an ST to a FJR. Actually put my $500 down on a June bike last Saturday. I'm kind of taking the long way around to make the transition. Keeping the ST, at least temporarily, and trading in my R1. Trading in the R1, I told my wife that is how much I like the FJR. Next to liking you of course my dear. My wife swears the ST is much more comfortable than the FJR. I guess it didn't help that everytime I took my wife for a ride on a demo FJR the front wheel kept coming off the ground. Anyway for me I don't know what it is by I always liked the FJR better, a lot better. I would have got an FJR right off the bat if it wasn't for that stupid PDP. I went into my Honda/Yamaha dealer and he had 3 ST's on the floor no FJR's none coming. Two were new one used that was in '04. Instant gratification. My ST is an '04 and I've never had any heat issues.

ST Plus

Better wind protection - especially the side fairings, I can really tuck my knees in.

Slightly more robust build construction for touring - Steel rear subframe - bigger alternator - tip over wings.

V4 - I actually like the howl or whine as some call it. Reminds me of the gear drive vfr's or rc51's.

ST Minus

Non adjustable front suspension - non linkage rear suspension is a compromise

Looks - especially with bags off.

Additional weight - although I think the bike handles fantastic. The weight really disappears in my opinion.

Dual combined braking. I like the linked brakes but the complexity is unreal and I don't have abs. The secondary master, pcv valve, & untold miles of brake hose. The brakes are fantastic they just lack feel. Can't wait to see a schemtic on the FJR system.

FJR Plus

Motor - It is stronger and feels a lot stonger than the numbers indicate.

I think the vibrations are slightly higher adding to the perception of more power.

Lighter weight bike.

Looks - Better looks bags on and bags off.

Standardization - A 17" front wheel - 180MM rear tire

Standardization - Standard Halogen bulbs not 45/45W Honda proprietary bulbs.

Fully adjustable suspension.

FJR minus

Alternator - A rep from Cypress swore to me at Daytona that it was upped to 5XX watts. I think 520 or 560 he said.

Wish the brakes were linked front to back but not back to front - but hey I didn't design the thing.

Howdy all. That was me over on the ST forum. Now I'm here.

I tried to go through my decision points as I knew a great many potential buyers end up looking at the same bikes I did. Often, it's impossible to test them side by side, or even on the same day. I did them all in one day and was able to do the side by side on the FJR and the ST.

Hope it helped a few out there. In the end, I really do like both. Coming from a Road King and Moto Guzzi V11, I'm just as happy as a pig in a pile. :yahoo:

Of course my FJR spent 2 days tits up and the dealer after my second day of riding. Dang right bar came loose & pinched the ignition wires in half. Grrr. Back on the road and lovin it.

Just can't believe he said the ST looks were better. I guess if you like scooters. Yuk!
right on! so not attractive. looks like a giant version of my mom's reflex!

Welcome Jimbemotumbo!

Last edited by a moderator: