ST300 vs FJR....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fifthave

I now have a 2000 Honda ST1100 55M which has been my fathiful steed these past five years. I now feel it is time to update. I was set on the Honda ST1300 because I did not like the heat issues with the FJR. The Honda also has a couple of issue with their fuel injection off idle and a handling issue around the 80 mph mark. I realize no bike is perfect but...With the improvements to the 06 FJR I am fast becoming a Yamaha fan. Any input from 06 FJR owners especially living in Kansas would be appreciated.

Seriously, I wouldn't get an ST1300 now, given the rapidly approaching redesign of that platform. It's possible (even probable) that Honda will address many of the serious shortcomings.

I just bought my wife a 2005 ST1300 (new).

I just got my 2006 FJR1300A (also new).

I have ridden both quite a bit through break-in and here are my impressions: This was eloquently stated by another board member but is spot on. The ST1300 is a great touring bike with good sport bike attributes. The FJR is a great Sportbike with good touring attributes.

I really feel this is true. The FJR really wants to be ridden hard IMO. The ST is very comfortable at a brisk pace but just lacks that umph. Know what I mean? I would gladly ride either as my primary bike; but, the FJR is my baby.

Well i have to say about honda st are they are very nice. They look great, The sound like shit...high winny pitch while running.... But i do have to say watch this video i ran circles :turn: around these St's all day, Just to video tape these bikes. :rofl:

Honda ST1300 :thumbsup: nice bike more of a touring bike in my eyes

Fjr 1300 :thumbsupsmileyanim: Lighter faster,Comfort for touring and way sexier,and i have yet to see a better color on any bike then 05 FJR galaxy blue ...... :yahoo:

Jdog

I really feel this is true. The FJR really wants to be ridden hard IMO.
And ridden hard she must, anything less she is unsatisfied. I can't believe how when the rpms get higher, the feej rides better. Quickly shifted from first and into second, the rpms make the bike sing. I love to ride in third around town cruising in the 4000 range, when I need to I skirt around traffic taking it to over 6000 quickly. On the roads where I have miles to go I will shift to 4th, or even 5th, but she seems to love 3d and 4000-4800 rpm.

Mike

I'm in KS (Manhattan) ride an 04 & tried the 06AE in Reno. I've also ridden a friends ST1300. To me, the FJR is lighter & faster, as well as more comfortable, but then I'm not really normal :) . I put about 60 miles on the ST and thought my wrists & shoulders were going to fall off from the odd combination of pain & numbness, & the FJR doesn't do that to me. But I'd sugest finding a test ride of both to see which you prefer. The ST is bigger, & probably fits some people better, just not me.

James

Take the bags off the FJR and you've got a great looking sportbike. Take the bags off the ST and...

I had an 03 and 04 st1300, put 20k on the 03 and sold it to get the fjr. The st1300 has major heat issues which is why i got rid of it. I have not had that problem on the 06 fjr. The fjr is lighter, sounds better and yamaha has addressed the problems the bike had, ie heat. My wife would not ride on the st and loves the back of the fjr. So far the seats are stock, the honda seats are terrible. The best thing about the st is the warranty, 3 yr. and it is a nice bike. You would not go terribly wrong with either. It is what you plan on using it for and how it fits you. Good luck with your descision. And do not pay msrp for either bike. Everett

I had a 2004 ST that I put 10,000 miles on, and have now put 3800 miles on my 06 FJR. There is nothing wrong with the ST, but the FJR is the better sport choice and is overall has more character. The only negative to the FJR is the vibration which is related to the right hand discomfort.

In my opinion, everything else about the FJR is better.

I enjoyed every ride on my ST, but the FJR is more fun, and even the seat is more comfortable.

I unloaded my st1300 due to heat related issues. That thing will cook you. Its also heavy. Everything else about it is fine. its got enough power and very comfortable to ride (in all other aspects other than heat).

FJR has more character and is a blast to ride. the 06 corrected a good portion of the heat related issues that plagued the earlier models. the FJR feel 150lbs lighter than the st1300. The fJR does get buzzy at 4500 rpm's (which is 88 mph in top gear), but tends not to be an issue in 'everyday" riding.

I"m waiting to see what the redisign on the st1300 turns out to be. I dont think it will be around for a couple of years but yamaha has really raised the bar for sport tourers with this 06 offereing.

GreyGoose

Seriously, I wouldn't get an ST1300 now, given the rapidly approaching redesign of that platform. It's possible (even probable) that Honda will address many of the serious shortcomings.
My buddy has a super farkled ST1300. He still keeps throwing money at it to try to keep up with my FJR. Up to a grand now and he still disappears in the distance behind me!

Woody's right whole new bike coming out soon. Probably will be fully automatic! :D

I mulled this exact issue before I got my FJR. I have one friend with an ST and another with an FJR. I bugged them both for about a month with questions, read things, sat on an ST (couldn't find an FJR to sit on!), and decided on the FJR because of the sporty aspect. I wanted something I could ride two-up without feeling squashed, so either bike fit that. I wanted something I could 'throw around' in the twisties, sorta like I did my SV, and both buds agreed the FJR was more for that. The consensus was that the ST was geared for two up comfort where you could have fun with when you felt like it, where the FJR was good for two up riding as a stock bike, good fun whenever you wanted it to be, but to make it ST level comfy, expect to drop a few bucks.

I went with the FJR and haven't looked back. The more I ride it the more I like it.

the main difference I see, is the Dealer.....I've done business with 3 honda dealers during the last 40 years of owning Hondas and they've were all +1...The one I did business with for the last 15 years welcomed me to come into the repair area to watch my repair and talk to the mechanics, again, everything was first class..The mechanics wore uniforms which displayed the certificates they'd achieved, etc..The Head Mechanic is an older gentleman who been there 30+ years and knows his stuff...

On the other hand, The Yama dealer has been a rude awakening -10, for me anyway. It's taken me a while to get used to being treated like some numbnut punk kid who borrowed money from his grandfather to buy a motorcycle and now I need something, but the alternative was for me to drive to another Yama dealer thats 200 miles away in Texarkana, Tx. that is if I wanted Honda type service..(I'm in Dallas mind you).....back to the story, This Dallas Yama's repair area is about as big as friends 3-4 car garage at their house, plus everyone is cramped, and they have kids for mechanics who all wear ball caps backwards and ratfink t-shirts around the shop. Plus, they chase you out like you violated their bedroom if you step back there to watch or have a question.....Meanwhile, the dealer seems to specialize more on Jetskis and 4-wheelers than motorcycles, meaning your bike can sit there for days just for an oil change if you take it in like at the beginning of dear season which means they're stacked full of all the hunters 4 wheelers who bring in to prep em for dear season, or what's worse like if some Heavy Metal Rock Concert is going on and all the mechanics called in sick.....

Love the FJR, but there is a difference.......and who know’s, your neighborhood YAMA dealer might be a good one…..and if that’s the case, I can assure you, you’d be a very lucky man!

the main difference I see, is the Dealer.....The one I did business with for the last 15 years welcomed me to come into the repair area to watch my repair and talk to the mechanics, again, everything was first class..The mechanics wore uniforms which displayed the certificates they'd achieved, etc..The Head Mechanic is an older gentleman who been there 30+ years and knows his stuff...
This sounds like all the Honda dealers back in the 1970s. I'm sure, at least in my area, that this is the exception not the rule. These days, the Honda dealer is also the Yamaha dealer who is also the Kawasaki dealer ...