Stacom Advanced Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnuckleHead

Freedom isn't free.
Reaction score
I bought a used Starcom Advanced from the TWN garage sale. I am getting everything hooked up today. All seems well, with the exception that only one helmet speaker is working. This is the same with both sets of speakers I got with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a switch or some ajustment somewhere for this? I didnt get a manual and I dont see an option to download one from the Starcom Website.

I bought a used Starcom Advanced from the TWN garage sale. I am getting everything hooked up today. All seems well, with the exception that only one helmet speaker is working. This is the same with both sets of speakers I got with it.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a switch or some ajustment somewhere for this? I didnt get a manual and I dont see an option to download one from the Starcom Website.
There is no adjustment for this. Try the helmet sets without the intermediate coil cord to eliminate that as the problem.

I tried that and still the same. I took it for a ride and I do get some engine noise through both sides, so I dont think its a problem with the speakers.

Here is my set up:

Zumo 550 audio out -> Audio on SC

Zumo 550 Mic out -> Phone on SC

PTT switch to PTT on SC

Volume control -> Remote input on SC

Any problems with that setup?

I see that SC sells a noise filter for the power wire, so I will probalby need that.

Two things come to mind...

1) Some starcom accessory cables have a stereo plug on one end and a mono plug on the other end. Maybe one or more of your cables are installed backwards?

2) Could be that some cables aren't completely plugged in. I'd double check the connections to see that they're inserted all the way.

Hmm, maybe that is it. As I mentioned I dont have the install manual so I am just winging it. I used a calbe similiar to this one to go from my Zumo audio out to the Audio in on the SC. I put the big round thing at the end with the SC. I will try switching it around. Thanks for the tip...

cab-35.jpg

Hmm, maybe that is it. As I mentioned I dont have the install manual so I am just winging it. I used a calbe similiar to this one to go from my Zumo audio out to the Audio in on the SC. I put the big round thing at the end with the SC. I will try switching it around. Thanks for the tip...

cab-35.jpg
This looks like the mic cable. The stereo end goes to the phone input and the other to the mic input on the zumo.

cab-35.jpg
This looks like the mic cable. The stereo end goes to the phone input and the other to the mic input on the zumo.
Looks like a Radar/Nav cable to me.

If only one speaker is working it could be that one of the speaker wires has been stretched and broke under the insulation, or the speaker just went bad. I had the same thing with one of my Starcom head set. I bought mine new so after describing the problem I asked for and was given a replacement no questions asked ( although I did pay shipping back to Jeff at Bike Effects). The replacement headset eventually developed a bad mic, and that was also replaced quickly by Jeff.

I can't tell from the photo if that pin is a 2.5mm pin, or if it is the same at both ends, but I found out the hard way with my 2-way radios that there is a big difference between the accessory cables that fit the Cobra 2.5mm and Motorola 2.5mm. Starcom (and many radio dealers) sells accessory cables for 2-way radios that are advertized as fitting both the Motorola and the Cobra, but in fact they are specifically for the Motorola. The Cobra is very similar to Motorola, and a Motorola accessory cable pin will work with a Cobra radio, but not if it is pressed flush with the radio. The pin will need to be left about 1/8" outside to get a good connection. If you repeatedly push the longer Motorola cable pin into the Cobra radio you will eventually have intermittant connections and will eventually break through the bottom of the pin hole. In my case the one broken Cobra now broadcasts continuously if I plug in the cable.

I don't have a GPS so I mention the differences for the 2-way in case there is a similar problem with the accessory cable you have and the Zumo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so just in case anyone else runs into this....I got time to mess with it today and it was the cable. I think I had the wrong one on there because I tried a few others that came with the box and the one that had 90 degree connectors on both sides was the one. Now I have sound in both ears and it is LOUD! I am glad I have the remote volume control.

So just one more question....I use a phone via bluetooth connected to the Zumo. The Starcom manual says that to use a phone I need their kit, but it looks like that would be if I wanted to plug the phone in...not use BT. So, am I correct in assuming that he microphone out from the Zumo would go to the Phone in on the Starcom?

Ok, I lied...one more. How are people securing the wires for the helmet kit? I ran the speaker wires inside the helmet, but they keep getting pulled out due to the tension on the main cable coming out (the thick part that you plug into the leads that come out of the Starcom). I thought about tearing a small hole in the fabric of the helmet and using a zip tie to secure it, but maybe there is a better way? :dribble:

Ok, I lied...one more. How are people securing the wires for the helmet kit? I ran the speaker wires inside the helmet, but they keep getting pulled out due to the tension on the main cable coming out (the thick part that you plug into the leads that come out of the Starcom). I thought about tearing a small hole in the fabric of the helmet and using a zip tie to secure it, but maybe there is a better way? :dribble:

I drilled a small hole in the helmet and ran a zip tie to hold the cable from pulling out of the helment by the connector. Second, I tucked the rest of the cables between the styra foam and the helmet by using a popsical stick so you don't damage the wire.

Latest posts