Stainless Steel Brakeline for ABS Models?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtwrider

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a stainless steel front brakeline on a pre-06 ABS model bike? Both the line from the front master cylinder and to the front caliper appear permanently attached to the ABS junction box. My dealer's service manager tells me the junction box shouldn't be removed because it isn't a simple pass through but does have some pressure control type function that is important for ABS function. Because of this I don't see a possible may to change either of these two brakelines, unless possibly the junction box could be drilled out and tapped/ threaded where the permanently attached lines enter it, so that aftermarket lines could be screwed in.

Sorry if this is covered somewhere in the forum - if so, please point me in that direction. I did do a search for this but didn't turn up anything.

TIA.

Mike

www.rtwrider.net

rtwrider,

Go to FJR1300.info. There you'll find excellent instructions on installing the braided SS brake lines. I have ABS & have removed every trace of the old rubber brake & clutch lines including the original junction block. That's all it is/was, just a junction block. It has no ABS function whatsoever. Maybe you ought to reconsider your dealer for any service or advise.

dobias :glare:

rtwrider,Go to FJR1300.info. There you'll find excellent instructions on installing the braided SS brake lines. I have ABS & have removed every trace of the old rubber brake & clutch lines including the original junction block. That's all it is/was, just a junction block. It has no ABS function whatsoever. Maybe you ought to reconsider your dealer for any service or advise.

dobias :glare:

Thanks for the information, Dobias. If I found what you referred to on FJR1300.info, it's about installing a Spiegler kit that changes all brake lines. Unfortunately the kit costs over $300, which is more than I would like to pay since I'm only interested in changing the front brake line.

If the junction box has no function, I wonder if it could simply be eliminated and stainless lines attached directly to the two lines coming forward from the ABS unit. Those have threaded male ends, and stainless steel lines are readily available with 10 mm threaded female ends at low cost. I don't know if the existing ends are 10 mm (haven't removed the junction box) but they appear to be about that size. Do you know the size and do you think this would work?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input.

Mike

www.rtwrider.net

Not sure I'm understanding you correctly... are you talking about the lines to this...?

PumpLine.jpg

I did the SS upgrade on my '05 FJR... all the lines that go to the ABS block are able to be disconnected.

If the junction box has no function, I wonder if it could simply be eliminated and stainless lines attached directly to the two lines coming forward from the ABS unit. Those have threaded male ends, and stainless steel lines are readily available with 10 mm threaded female ends at low cost. I don't know if the existing ends are 10 mm (haven't removed the junction box) but they appear to be about that size. Do you know the size and do you think this would work?
NO....what's the point? The ABS system is about combined balance and control. It works as a complete system, not partial. The front brakes of an ABS bike will not have the same feel as an non-ABS at the lever. By changing and trying to do what you want is a waste of time and money, for it serves no end purpose.

If you just want the bling and you really, really wanted front SS lines, I suppose you could do a 3 line setup with a 2 way. Instead you could upgrade to SBK3 brake pads, for that will serve you better stopping/money wise.

Unfortunately the kit costs over $300, which is more than I would like to pay since I'm only interested in changing the front brake line.
And the point of changing only the front 2 visible lines would be bling or performance?

Unless you change it all you're probably not making an performance difference in brakes and you're half-assing things. You really want to half-ass a job like brakes?

And I concur, your dealer is wrong. That front joint (that gets replace in the Spiegler kit) is just a manifold port. No pressure change.

NO....what's the point? The ABS system is about combined balance and control. It works as a complete system, not partial. The front brakes of an ABS bike will not have the same feel as an non-ABS at the lever. By changing and trying to do what you want is a waste of time and money, for it serves no end purpose.

If you just want the bling and you really, really wanted front SS lines, I suppose you could do a 3 line setup with a 2 way. Instead you could upgrade to SBK3 brake pads, for that will serve you better stopping/money wise.
+1

However, you probably could buy the parts you want piece by piece from Speigler. You'd need the link from the hardline to the Speigler splitter manifold and the two links from there to each front caliper along with the Speigler manifold and bracket hardware. I would not advocate it because it would add sparkle rather than farkle. My expectation is that it would not improve braking at all as Fabone, Iggy and Dobias all said.

Hey rtwrider,I've got a set of speiglers for 03-05 abs model in smoke color with titanium fittings with black banjos.The clutch line and brake line from junction block to front master cylinder are plus inch and a half to accomadate risers I'll sell you for $250 shipped. That's a hell of a deal if your serious about some speiglers.

P.m me if you're interested. the junction block is included.