Standard rack support capabilities?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
I bought a small Premier Cycles rack that mounts with the 3 standard bolts above the tail. I have searched a ton of threads & haven't found where anyone can really say what this configuration will hold. Premier says you don'y need Givi's mount if you go that direction. I am actually debating getting a E52 box or just using the the plate & pillion seat to store my gear on for ld riding, How much weight can than plate hold? Its not the plate but what it is mounted to that concerns me. . . Anybody with real experience with this setup?

I bought a small Premier Cycles rack that mounts with the 3 standard bolts above the tail. I have searched a ton of threads & haven't found where anyone can really say what this configuration will hold. Premier says you don'y need Givi's mount if you go that direction. I am actually debating getting a E52 box or just using the the plate & pillion seat to store my gear on for ld riding, How much weight can than plate hold? Its not the plate but what it is mounted to that concerns me. . . Anybody with real experience with this setup?
Hey ct,

Check out my profile to see the post I made regarding this very subject (unless you have seen it already). I installed a genII premier cycles plate to my stock rack on my 2003. I have an E52 mounted to it using the universal GIVI plate. IMHO I think it works great, and it looks good with the box off as well. You can use the rack for other stuff as well because it's so flat. I had already had the holes drilled in the tail section because I used to have the factory case, but that thing was a sail on the bike so I sold it. The GIVI rack looks good too, but I think others would agree it's ugly and not very useful when the case is off.

As far as weight capacity goes, if you mounted the plate just to the plastic stock rack, without bolting it into the subframe, then I don't think it could hold it very well. Besides, it would bounce around like crazy!! IMO, if the rack is bolted into the subframe (through the stock rack with the three bolts) , then the weight capacity is no different than the GIVI, because the case is now carried by the subframe in the proper place. The stock rack is merely giving additional triangulated support. Obviously, if any setup is overloaded for a long period of time, it will eventually fail. I believe that some members did have subframe cracks, but they were related to overloading.

It then comes down to personal choice. Use what you think looks good on your bike. As long as you are happy with it............thats all that matters.

Good choice on the E52.............lots of space!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mattster! That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Yes, I removed the 3 bolts & now they go through the new plate then the tail into whatever was holding them originally (subframe?).

Does the Universal Givi mount come with the box? How much of a mount / dismount is involved to remove the Givi universal mount? I too like the Primier plate as a usefull place to bungee things too. I can see me wanting to put on the Givi mount only for long rides (over 10 days).

Last edited by a moderator: