starcom in glove box?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody mount their Starcom Advance in their glove box?

No, but I have been seriously considering it on my 1st gen. I currently have it in a powered tank bag, but I'd like to make the bike more "short trip friendly" where I can lock up the 'spensive 'lectronics, at least half ass-edly. I used the tool tray space for my AVCC install, so that is out, and I use the space under the passenger seat for my tools, and flat repair kits.

Having just installed mine in the tool tray under the seat on my '05, I'd suggest that the first thing you do is plug in all the wires to the Starcom (whatever you'll be using -- e.g., Push to talk & volume control leads, Music, GPS, Radar detector, bike to bike radio and phone) and see how much room that's going to require. Those many cables pretty well forced me to put my Starcom diagonally in the tool tray, and might be an issue in the glove box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Fred, I have my cruise control and blue seas fuse box under the rider seat and tools etc. under the pillion.

I only use the glove box for charging my cell phone. Hoping to put everything there.

This may be an off the wall question, but, does anyone know what the temperature is in the glove box during a long ride? i.e., is it OK for electronics?
I don't know the temp but my Starcom has lived "down under" for 3 1/2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be an off the wall question, but, does anyone know what the temperature is in the glove box during a long ride? i.e., is it OK for electronics?
I don't know the temp but my Starcom has lived "down under" for 31/2 years.

Hmmmm, 16.5 years? Wow, I didn't know Starcom was around back then... :rolleyes:

Seriously, the glovebox would be better that the environment we usually subject these boxes to. The big question is, will it fit? I suppose it will if you are willing to hack up the glove box liner, but that would reduce the water resistance...