Starcom PTT question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STC10

Reaction score
I'm considering a Starcom unit for the bike. It's my understanding that they are VOX (voice activated). My question is, why the need for a PTT(push to talk)?

Also, with the PTT, do you need to hold the switch throughout the conversation?

I'm considering a Starcom unit for the bike. It's my understanding that they are VOX (voice activated). My question is, why the need for a PTT(push to talk)?Also, with the PTT, do you need to hold the switch throughout the conversation?
Remember the movie Apollo 13? Tell Jim Lovell that he prefers VOX over PTT. ;)

Freddo, inform Houston I'm wellaware of the goddamn gimbals!

- Roger that, Houston.

- I don't need to hear the obvious.

- I got the frappin' eight ball right in front of me.

- Andy, we're on VOX.

Uh,Aquarius, uh, this is

Houston. We got you both on VOX.

You want what? You want us to go to VOX, Andy?

You have a hot mike. We're readin' everything you say.

Sorry, Jim.
PTT is used principally because you'd rather not have the person on the other end when you talk to yourself or because VOX is tempermental and activates either when you don't want it...or not when you want it.

And yes you'd need to have PTT depressed throughout the conversation...unless you'd like for part of the conversation not to be heard and then letting go in the middle of the conversation makes for hours of entertainment with the other party.

I'm considering a Starcom unit for the bike. It's my understanding that they are VOX (voice activated). My question is, why the need for a PTT(push to talk)?Also, with the PTT, do you need to hold the switch throughout the conversation?

Mainly the PTT is for bike to bike comms

VOX if you are riding with your girlfriend, and PTT if you are riding with your wife. :rolleyes:

Remember the movie Apollo 13? Tell Jim Lovell that he prefers VOX over PTT. ;)

Freddo, inform Houston I'm wellaware of the goddamn gimbals!

- Roger that, Houston.

- I don't need to hear the obvious.

- I got the frappin' eight ball right in front of me.

- Andy, we're on VOX.

Uh,Aquarius, uh, this is

Houston. We got you both on VOX.

You want what? You want us to go to VOX, Andy?

You have a hot mike. We're readin' everything you say.

Sorry, Jim.
PTT is used principally because you'd rather not have the person on the other end when you talk to yourself or because VOX is tempermental and activates either when you don't want it...or not when you want it.

And yes you'd need to have PTT depressed throughout the conversation...unless you'd like for part of the conversation not to be heard and then letting go in the middle of the conversation makes for hours of entertainment with the other party.
I get it. Since I have a habit of humming or singing along, I guess PTT is the way to go. Does that mean that the pillion also needs a button? If so, can I give her a non-functional one so she thinks I'm listening? :rolleyes:

Starcom intercom audio (Rider-Passenger / Passenger-Rider) is always live (on). PTT is primarily for bike2bike as stated earlier.

If you want a "wife squelch" on Starcom, you'll have to adjust the microphone sensitivity setting lower and insult her softly.

Going by memory here but...

Not sure if you're looking at Starcom Advance or Starcom Digital, but both do have VOX.

Both Advance and Digital have adjustable VOX. You can go from "off" to virtually always "on", and several levels between. Advance uses an analog adjustment so you get virtually infinite level of the VOX adjustment. The Digital has four adjustment levels.

The VOX on both units work on the music, as well as the bike-to-bike radio. So when you talk with your passenger, it will mute the music. The Digital has adjustable levels of muting, I don't recall if the Advance does.

The Digital allows the PTT to work in two different ways - "latch" or "push". The "latch" is push once to turn on, and push a second time to turn off. The "push" option requires you to hold the button down while talking. I'm pretty sure that the Advance does not have this option.

For what its worth, we don't use the VOX at all, we just talk over the music. Works fine for us. And I wouldn't consider the VOX for bike to bike, but that's just me.

Going by memory here but...

Not sure if you're looking at Starcom Advance or Starcom Digital, but both do have VOX.

Both Advance and Digital have adjustable VOX. You can go from "off" to virtually always "on", and several levels between. Advance uses an analog adjustment so you get virtually infinite level of the VOX adjustment. The Digital has four adjustment levels.

The VOX on both units work on the music, as well as the bike-to-bike radio. So when you talk with your passenger, it will mute the music. The Digital has adjustable levels of muting, I don't recall if the Advance does.

The Digital allows the PTT to work in two different ways - "latch" or "push". The "latch" is push once to turn on, and push a second time to turn off. The "push" option requires you to hold the button down while talking. I'm pretty sure that the Advance does not have this option.

For what its worth, we don't use the VOX at all, we just talk over the music. Works fine for us. And I wouldn't consider the VOX for bike to bike, but that's just me.
Not planning on bike to bike. I need rider to pillion, my Zumo 550 which will handle nav,phone,and MP3, and possibly my Ipod. I think that the Advanced will do what I need. Unless someone will convince me that the Digital is worth the extra $$$

Not planning on bike to bike. I need rider to pillion, my Zumo 550 which will handle nav,phone,and MP3, and possibly my Ipod. I think that the Advanced will do what I need. Unless someone will convince me that the Digital is worth the extra $$$
PTT is only for bike to bike radio. In your case, you won't have any use for it, so no need to spend the extra $.

PTT is only for bike to bike radio. In your case, you won't have any use for it, so no need to spend the extra $.
What Neil (and others) said!

Last edited by a moderator: