Starcom PTT/VOX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnuckleHead

Freedom isn't free.
Reaction score
I have had my Starcom for a while but never got around to installing a FRS radio and the PTT switch. Finally got to it today and had some unexpected behavior.

I was under the understanding that when you plugged in the PTT switch, that the Starcom would not transmit the FRS via VOX...that you HAD to push the PTT switch to talk via FRS. Is that not right, because that is NOT what I am seeing? I was transmitting via FRS by just using the VOX. Is there perhaps a setting somewhere I need to change?

You will need the PTT with VOX disable special cable. Even then, it may not be the correctly manufactured one. It must have a 1k ohm resistor.
Here's a link to where I made my own. This might help you out.

Homemade Starcom PTT with VOX disable
Ok, I have the PTT-03. Did they have a problem with their manufacturing, or are you just assuming since it doesn't work right?

Thanks for your link...I am not all that electrically inclined, but I may take a whack at it.

You will need the PTT with VOX disable special cable. Even then, it may not be the correctly manufactured one. It must have a 1k ohm resistor.
Here's a link to where I made my own. This might help you out.

Homemade Starcom PTT with VOX disable
Ok, I have the PTT-03. Did they have a problem with their manufacturing, or are you just assuming since it doesn't work right?

Thanks for your link...I am not all that electrically inclined, but I may take a whack at it.

Yes. they have made various iterations of the PTT-03, with varying values of the resistor that inhibits the VOX.

With the assistance of Jeff from Bike Effects (arguably the best farkle vendor on the planet) we hashed this out with the engineers from Starcom1 in this thread

The executive version of the linked thread is that, as Jeff said, you want a 1k ohm inhibit resistor to get the VOX transmit inhibited as promised. If you are not handy with a soldering iron, and bought your PTT-03 from Jeff, you could probably get him to do an exchange to get an updated version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks Fred.

I bought the Starcom used from the TWN garage sale so I probably have the older PTT switch. For $25, I will just order up a new one...