Starcom / RF1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionswings

Reaction score
Has anyone put headphones in a RF1000 before? I have a Starcom and am looking for ideas because I am struggling with it. The speakers seem to be too big to fit in the ear hole.

I have Autocom and an RF1000. Not sure how the helmet speakers compare size-wise with the Starcom speakers, but I suspect they are pretty close. In my case the only way to get them to fit properly would have been to do a little bit of trimming of the ear cavity area inside the helmet with a Dremel tool. This would obviously void any warranty or whatever, although I doubt whether removing a few millimeters of foam would seriously compromise the safety of the helmet.

That being said, I chose NOT to carve up the helmet and instead wear a set of Klipsh x-11 low profile noise-isolating ear speakers hooked into the Autocom rather than the helmet speakers. I just cut the speakers off the headset loom and taped up the end of the wire. This works well - better audio, good noise attenuation, very comfortable for 12+ hrs of riding in a day, and I didn't have to do surgery on the helmet.

YMMV, and all the usual caveats.

Griff

Just went to the store and bought some cheap thiner Panasonic speakers for a headset and tore them apart. Works great.