Starcom1 Digital

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGRE

Reaction score
I just installed a Starcom1 digital on my bike. I had read that there were problems with getting Stereo music from the Zumo 550 and making phone calls through the Starcom advance, So I kicked in the extra bucks for the digital, and so far it was WELL worth it :yahoo: I wired it in straight to the battery since it automatically shuts off when you unplug the riders headset, and hooked it up to the zumo using the MUS-4 cable and MIC-1 cable. The mic cable plugs into the phone jack on the starcom unit and mus cable into the Aux jack(not sure if I'm getting stereo or not through the aux jack). I synched my bluetooth phone to the zumo and took a ride today. I was able to listen to music and and make phone calls with the Vstream down and my helmet visor up at 70mph!!!! I asked a couple buddies about the quality of sound from the mic.... one said that I sounded like I was in a barrel, the other said it was like talking to an astronaut, but both stated that it was very clear and they couldn't tell any difference between stopped and 70mph. I think the "barell' sound was from my shoei helmet, if I talk to myself in the helmet, it sounds like that to me too. I can't wait to try out the rider passenger intercom, I'll post up as soon as I take my wife for a ride(she's a fair weather rider.... it may be a while). The new system will get a good shakedown run tomorrow (hopefully 100 miles or so), and I'll be ready to head to Daytona on Friday!!

if I talk to myself in the helmet, it sounds like that to me too.
so, exactly how does that conversation go?

just curious...where do you have the mic positioned? in the middle of the chin bar or more to the side? i thought the quality of the starcom mics work best when the mic is as close to your mouth as possible.

I'd like to hear your experience when using VOX with a passenger. My Avanced unit isn't so good, and I can hear the pillion mic wind noise at speeds over 45.

Hopefully the Digital fixed this?

I'd like to hear your experience when using VOX with a passenger. My Avanced unit isn't so good, and I can hear the pillion mic wind noise at speeds over 45.
+2 Me too! Well, the VOX part. I rarely go over 45.

Last edited by a moderator:
+2 Me too! Well, the VOX part. I rarely go over 145.
Jeff you screwed up, however don't worry I fixed it for you. :rolleyes:

Off topic..... How did those gloves work for you?