Starcom1 FRS/GMRS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ609Eagle

Reaction score
I currently own and use a StarCom Advance unit. Zumo connected via wires, iPhone to Zumo via Bluetooth, and Occasionally based on who i'm riding with i'll connect the CB as well.

I'm planning to buy on for my girlfriend so that she has a nice set up. She already rides with iPod mounted on bars, with basic helmet speakers.

I'm going with a star com for her, so when she wants to ride pillon, her and I can talk.

But when she's riding her own we want to talk as well. CB and Starcom just isn't worth the effort on her SV (no mounting place for Antenna)

So i want to go with FRS radios for her and I.

Question is, can I use the cheapo Midland LXT310VP Radios or do I have to spend big $$$ for the Kenwood talk abouts and such? Water proof isn't an issue because she won't ride in the rain.

Jeff, from Bike Effects, I hope your out there. I bought mine from you and if i can work with these ceaper radios, you have another order coming

Yes the 310 Midland will work, if it has an external plug. If she has a Starcom and you have a Starcom whatever you use will work with hers. I suggest a PTT also, easier to use the FRS radios that way.

Read some info about radios here including distance test results.

I have a Starcom and use the Midland GXT900 with a PTT to communicate with friends who use Chatterbox systems. Stay away from the Cobras, their pin connectors are sometimes not deep enough for the Starcom cable and they can break and short out.

She'll need a Starcom helmet set, and then in addition to her radio she can plug in her iPod when she wants and pretend she can't hear you....

I currently own and use a StarCom Advance unit. Zumo connected via wires, iPhone to Zumo via Bluetooth, and Occasionally based on who i'm riding with i'll connect the CB as well.
I'm planning to buy on for my girlfriend so that she has a nice set up. She already rides with iPod mounted on bars, with basic helmet speakers.

I'm going with a star com for her, so when she wants to ride pillon, her and I can talk.

But when she's riding her own we want to talk as well. CB and Starcom just isn't worth the effort on her SV (no mounting place for Antenna)

So i want to go with FRS radios for her and I.

Question is, can I use the cheapo Midland LXT310VP Radios or do I have to spend big $$$ for the Kenwood talk abouts and such? Water proof isn't an issue because she won't ride in the rain.

Jeff, from Bike Effects, I hope your out there. I bought mine from you and if i can work with these ceaper radios, you have another order coming
Let me know how the radio works out and what model it is.