Starcom1 Volumn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ609Eagle

Reaction score
I recently have everything installed, StarCom1 Advance, Zumo 550, PTT-03, Midland 75-822. The Zumo is connected via the MIC-01 and MUS04 cables.

I have the StarCom Volume turned all the way up, and the VOX all the way down. I haven't had a passenger yet, but that will be next.

Right now, if I sing along to the music the volume from teh music increases. I know my singing is horrible but how does the Starcomm know this and how do I fix the issue so the music volume stays the same all the time?

hehe I have an AutoCom and have the mic threshold adjusted all the way down. Sometimes when I sign it picks it up, but unlike the Starcom , my unit Mutes, which makes it even worse...I don't have a lovely singing voice. :)

IIRC, the Advance has an active volume system that will automatically increase the volume as the ambient noise increases (wind, singing...). I don't believe there is a setting for this. I'm pretty sure its a permanent feature.

IIRC, the Advance has an active volume system that will automatically increase the volume as the ambient noise increases (wind, singing...). I don't believe there is a setting for this. I'm pretty sure its a permanent feature.
Exactly... I do get some feedback every now and then when I sing. It's only there to remind me how bad I am...

-MD

As Neil & Matt said, the Starcom is built to interrupt music when you speak (for intercom w/ passenger), or your phone rings, or the Radar Detector beeps.

You can minimize this effect (and wind noise feedback) with the Mic settings - try turning Mic 1 to 25%. If you ride with a passenger, Mic 2 should be around 15%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me add:

I'm having major difficulties with my Startcom1 Advanced Setup and teh Midland 75-822

All my wires were run under the tank and when i used teh PPT button all sorts of screeching is in my ear and the people can't hear shit orther than the screetch. Under all the screech...if you listen...you'll hear the inflection of a voice but it's not audible. When I'm not going through the StarCom unit I transfit fine. We tuned teh antenna using SWR meter and got it at 1.5.

Do do hear a little engine noice through teh helmet headset at startup, but nothing dramatic. I tried to go cheep and use a Noice filter from an Autopart store but that didn't eliminate the start-up noise or the trasmit issue. So I ordered teh StartCom specific Noice filter today.

I removed teh wires from under teh tank and connected them loose above, if this worked I would then just run from tank bag, but it didn't. Same garbage.

Then I removed the PTT switch and turned up the VOX, not as bad, but still transmitting mostly garbage.