Starcomm PTT problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
I installed a PTT3 switch with my Starcomm, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Nothing happens when I push it: it does not mute the IPOD. When I hook up my midland 900 GMRS using the Starcomm GMRS cable, and try to transmit, while I can hear the other person talking to me, they cannot hear my transmission when I push the PTT button (and again, music is not muted).

I've tried this with VOX on, and VOX disabled, no difference. VOX works to mute the IPOD when I talk (but nothing is transmitted over the GMRS radio).

Am I doing something wrong? Should I have the Midland's Vox turned on or off?

Last edited by a moderator:
When your VOX is on, can you transmit on the radio via VOX?

If not, I might be suspicous of the cable...

When your VOX is on, can you transmit on the radio via VOX?
If not, I might be suspicous of the cable...
Can't transmit with or without vox. Also, PTT doesn't mute anything, with or without radio. Any ideas? Can't decide if the CAB2 cable to the Midland is the problem, or maybe the PTT switch.

I may have to call Jeff @ Bike Effects...

Well, I checked the starcomm today and found the microphone sensitivity was turned to zero, I increased it and voila, works better and triggers the Midland when I set the VOX on both the Midland and the Starcomm.

PTT no worky, leading me to believe it is defective.

Super excited to have bike 2 bike what with CFR and WFO on the horizon.

Well, I checked the starcomm today and found the microphone sensitivity was turned to zero, I increased it and voila, works better and triggers the Midland when I set the VOX on both the Midland and the Starcomm.
PTT no worky, leading me to believe it is defective.

Super excited to have bike 2 bike what with CFR and WFO on the horizon.
I had a similar problem with an Autocomm PTT and rather than send it back and go without for awhile, I took it apart and discovered that the switch was not quite moving far enough to activate the mic...I added a small fiber washer to take up the slop and it works...I've never been inside a starcomm product but it might be worth a try if you are handy at that sort of thing.

Hudson, I have a PTT-03 button coming. Should be here about Tuesday. You can come by and try it if you want.

Hudson, I have a PTT-03 button coming. Should be here about Tuesday. You can come by and try it if you want.
Thanks Auburn.

If you have the patience, I may swing by and see if we can get the Starcomm dialed in (VOX, mic sensitivity, etc) so we have a decent comm system for CFR.

I'll probably ping Jeff @ BE and have him swap the cable, as it hasn't muted since I first hooked it up.

That is the last remaining item: I got power leads installed for the IPOD charger and for the portable air compressor, so nearly good to go. It will be nice when everything is working...