Starcomm VS. Autocomm.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrb0

Reaction score
Have an old Starcomm, just wonder if the starcomm was better or the autocom?

The problem I have with the starcomm is with the 3.5mm plug for the iPod, damn thing is mono if pushed all the way, mono if it's not in far enough. You gotta do the Goldiflocks thing just right to get stereo, which is a pain moving down the road.

Can't speak for Autocom since I've never used one, but we have Starcom on all the bikes. I will say that both systems look fairly identical on paper. The only difference that I could find is that the Starcom has a volume control that you can mount on the handlebars. And for me that was the tie breaker. I can't imagine not having that volume control on any system on our bikes.

I use an iPod with the Starcom, but I use the plugin that goes in the bottom. Good stereo that way, plus it charges the iPod up while you're on your way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the same problem, sent it back (it was under warranty) and a new board corrected it. I had another issue with the replacement board, they promptly shipped another one out, and it works as advertised. A riding buddy has the same Starcom Advanced and has no problems.

Chose the Starcom due to smaller size, features, and general speech quality. Heard that Autocom is good, cables are non-standard & pricey, and speech sound quality is not as good.

If Starcom is in your future, buy it from Jeff @ Bike Effects, he has a discount for forum members, and his customer service and prices are without peer. If I had to do it over again, I would choose Starcom (with the caveat that it may take a try or two to get it right, but once you do, it works fine).

My vote is for the Autocomm. Who says voice quality is not as good. I was on the phone at triple digits and the caller could not tell I was on the bike? I am a very happy customer and works well with the Zumo 600.

I like the beefy connectors of the Autocom (good for if you have to plug or unplug them with gloves on), and the three years of issue-free operation that I've had with it....

I only have the AutoComm. I have never personally tried the Starcomm. I think either are satisfactory units, but what I have noticed over the years is a lot more people having issues with getting things to work with the Starcom.

Just my observation.

And I agree with 2006FJR that the voice quality with the Autocomm is excellent.

I have the Autocom and I like it it took a little work to get it working the way I want but once I figured it out no problems, both systems are good, what ever one you get I would add in ear speakers they make a big difference, you don,t have to try to hear over the wind noise or earplugs

I've got the Autocom and have had no problems with it. The cables and additional parts are expensive, but I bought it a long time ago when they were closing out to upgrade the next year. So I'm probably even.

Only concern I've had is that earlier this year there was a thread about autocom america being hard to get ahold of, and things not available. Did that situation work itself out?

That said, I think both work well

It would be helpful if posters would indicate which specific model of Starcom or Autocom they're using. They're not all the same...

I just installed an Autocom "Active Plus" that was on closeout sale. The problem I had was the lack of volume adjustment on the inputs. I added a 4.9K resistor to the isolator module on the cable to get the speaker jack output from my radar detector down to a a usable level. I haven't yet bought a second headset, so I don't know if the VOX will be usable since this model doesn't have a remote noise sensor like the Pro model.

The noise isolating cables are expensive, but otherwise I'm happy with it so far....