Starting to get "COLD"...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Kelly

Reaction score
So this morning I left the house to a nice 34 degrees. It was Chillie to say the least. My feet were the coldest, as my wintex boots weren't up to the task, even with my wool sox... Hands were "OK" with my snowmobile gloves on, and I'll fix that issue when the OEM heated grip kit arrives. My Tourmaster Centurion one-piece suit was doing the trick, but I was glad I had the liners installed.

What are you guys using for "cold weather" riding gear? Def. gonna have to research warmer boots...

Mike

Left here last Thursday for the L.A. area, 400 miles south. I thought I might run into most anything, so I had my warmest jacket and liner, extra base layers, rain gear, glove liners.

In fact I was prepared for everything but the 97 frickin' degrees I found when I got there. :angry2:

As to your question, these do a wonderful job for occasional cold spells.

51IA7SDHWlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One in the back side of each glove and each boot. Good short-term or occasional-use solution. No disassembly or installation required.

By the way, dig around in your closet and see if you have a wool scarf. Seals up that whole draft thing every motorcycle jacket gives you. Easy to pull off if it warms up, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my list of cold weather gear: Balaclava, Gerbings heated vest, Firstgear gauntlet gloves, heated grips, Firstgear Kilimanjaro and HT pants with liners in place, Tourmaster solution boots and Smartwool socks.

Ride Safe

So this morning I left the house to a nice 34 degrees. It was Chillie to say the least. My feet were the coldest, as my wintex boots weren't up to the task, even with my wool sox... Hands were "OK" with my snowmobile gloves on, and I'll fix that issue when the OEM heated grip kit arrives. My Tourmaster Centurion one-piece suit was doing the trick, but I was glad I had the liners installed.

What are you guys using for "cold weather" riding gear? Def. gonna have to research warmer boots...

Mike
So a bit of advice from the "Great White North" where we know cold. I have spoken to a couple of people in the last few days who thought that heated grips would do the job only to be a bit disappointed. To get the effect of the grip heat you need a fairly light glove then the backs of you hands seem cold. Wear a heavy glove and the heat doesn't get through enough. I would recommend a heated vest instead or to compliment the gloves. I spent a very pleasent, windy day today riding in 6-8 degree celcius (42-46 F) for over three hours. It's like sitting in front of the fireplace. The cost is more than a genaric set of heated grips but even the best heated gear is probaby cheaper than the Yamaha grips. I`ve got a Widder vest which is a quality product but since they aren`t producing anymore are hard to find. Gerberlings (sp) are another excellent choice. There are others too and the good ones have accessories like thermostats and attachable sleeves and gloves.

The theory is that when the body starts to sense it`s getting cold it reduces the flow of blood to the extremities to conserve heat in the core. If you keep the core warm the hands and feet keep warm too. Some folks also like the V Strom hand guards too to reduce the wind on them.

Spring for the heated collar, choose a snug fit for best transmission and you will be nice and cosy.

I abandoned the idea of having a jacket for different seasons.... can't pack it all.... plus wanted hi-viz... now use an Olympia Airglide and layer up for the anticipated weather. For extreme cold, long sleeve Minus 33 brand merino wool underwear (thin, light, moisture wicking), Warm & Safe heated jacket liner (breathes, and has heated collar and outlets for pants and gloves), Olympia quilted waterproof liner to block wind, and Heat Troller mostly set on low. This thing can cook you if you want it to.

On the bottom, Olympia Airglide pants, liners in for the cold and Minus 33 longjohns, merino wool socks, Y-harness down the legs to Gerbings heated insoles... on same controller as jacket liner, although one might want those a bit warmer, can add another controller with a Y-connector if desired or try it with the glove controller in a deep freeze, but it might be too hot if on high. OK if you keep the balls of your feet on the pegs so they're up out of the cold. Gloves are Warm & Safe Ultimates hooked via the jacket liner input for a separate controller, mostly on full high. Gerbings G3 gloves not recommended, do not have breathable liners. G5's probably better.

If it gets hot, just strip down layers. For anything over 65-70F, ditch the Minus 33 top and wear a tee shirt with Minus 33 merino wool boxers. The idea is you can carry all this stuff without exceeding your luggage capacity and be prepared for all weather. I also have a FrogToggs rain suit which breathes but will block wind/water.

Windshield Rifle +4+5 and Baker Air Wings will take care of most foul weather, perhaps I'll add some removable homemade air deflectors to my dash shelf...... and yes heated grips are a staple.

Bottom line, I can ride until it's dangerous with frost and ice.... be aware of that before you get too comfy and overconfident.

FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and HT pants w/liners; Olympia winter gloves w/OEM heated grips down to about 30 deg F, then I go to the Gerbings heated gloves; Teknik boots keep my feet warm pretty well. I use a NOJ Quiet Rider helmet skirt to keep the cold air from drying my contact lenses out.

Firstgear Thermo wintersuit. Basically, it's a glorified snowmobile suit, but works fantastic. I can ride in jeans and a tshirt under that thing in temps to 35f and not feel a single thing. The suit zips and velcros airtight around my teknic boots and joe rocket winter gloves. I can feel the wind pressure on me as I ride but I can't feel any of the effects of it.

The only thing that was getting chilly was my forehead due to my Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet. It's a decent helmet but leaks wind over the top of the visor (and directly onto my forehead) pretty bad. I throw on a balaclava if it's really cold. I also just picked up a National Cycle V-Stream windscreen that's moved the breeze off my skull. :)

I'm comfy cozy warm with no electric farkles right now. The only thing I intend to upgrade is my suit. I want some CE Armour for added protection. The Firstgear Thermo has a Dennier 210 textile outer shell that will resist sliding a little bit and the padding is thick all the way around but I want my points of contact protection. I'm keeping my eye out for an Olympia Phantom (Hi-Viz) for the economically minded (preferably lightly used).

Silk balaclava/glove liners, Wal-Mart Merino wool socks in Oxtar boots, Olympia winter thinsulate gloves (leather/textile), Roadcrafter with long-sleeved fleece over long sleeved shirt and jeans (daily commute). For the weekend rides, same but with sweat pants instead of jeans under the Stich...seems to keep me pretty warm with the exception of my hands. I have an Aerostich Warmbib that I occasional use as well (it's ok in a pinch). That being said, I do plan on getting a heated vest w/collar. My 20 mile each way commute in 30-40 degree weather rewards me with ice blocks for hands, so I plan to order some Dual Star or Symtec grip heaters with a Heat-Troller this week and come to terms with my electrical newbie-ness, lol.

Mine is a Frank Thomas XTI top, bottom, and gloves. To be honest the gloves probably won't be enough below about 25 degrees, but they're good for what I'm experiencing now. The suit doesn't seem to let a bit of wind through. Of course having the V Stream +4 +4 windshield helps, especially in the up position. I wear wool and polypro socks under my boots, which are not cold weather but do the trick nicely. So far, down to 27 degrees, the only thing that has gotten even remotely cold was my hands. I may consider a different glove for extreme cold.

Mine is a Frank Thomas XTI top, bottom, and gloves. To be honest the gloves probably won't be enough below about 25 degrees, but they're good for what I'm experiencing now. The suit doesn't seem to let a bit of wind through. Of course having the V Stream +4 +4 windshield helps, especially in the up position. I wear wool and polypro socks under my boots, which are not cold weather but do the trick nicely. So far, down to 27 degrees, the only thing that has gotten even remotely cold was my hands. I may consider a different glove for extreme cold.

ski socks, tall boots, top and bottom base layer, fleece pants, gerbings jacket liner and gerbings gloves, aerostich roadcrafter, balaclava. Toasty warm. In debt to mastercard.

ski socks, tall boots, top and bottom base layer, fleece pants, gerbings jacket liner and gerbings gloves, aerostich roadcrafter, balaclava. Toasty warm. In debt to mastercard.
Oh yea, forgot about the balaclava. Essential for my ugly shaved head.

I have the Yamaha foot deflectors - block the wind nicely on my feet. Makes it pretty hot in the summer, though.

Well it will be a high of 69 degrees here in Minnesota today. This morning's commute, maybe 30 or 40 degrees. I was warm with a Aerostich Blow up heated vest, roadcrafter one piece with a union work shirt and pant, and the Wee Strom hand guards and heated grips. I wear a pair of ti Icon gloves. Giving the finger wearing these is amazing, you really get your point across when these gloves are engaged!!! This year was the first year I rode my bike up to the deer hunting property!! I one hour ride at 75-80 mph plus to stay alive. I set the cruise at 74mph when I got out side of Elk River up 169 and I had a Truck pulling 10 ATV's on a trailer walk away from me at 74 mph. It must have been a race of all the fools pulling trailers. I think about past years and all that snow.... I guess I can keep riding!!! In a week or two if the weather still permits I will be adding a neck warmer and a warmer pair to Teko socks. Never have issues with the cold, just trucks pulling trailers full of dirty ATV's.