Stator question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobie

Reaction score
I just recently installed the new Electrosport stator. Install went easy enough, with the exception of a leaking gasket because I tried to reuse the old one ( a new gasket is being picked up on Tuesday).

Heres the problem: With the old stator my Datel usually showed 13.7 at idle. I figured the new stator would have a higher reading due to the increased output, but it still reads at 13.7. Am I missing something? I tried running the bike at higher revs, but it never went above 13.7. I even checked to make sure Electrosport sent the "high output" stator, and according to the webpage I got the right one. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the volt reading will stay the same, it's the wattage rating that will change. You're reading the voltage output. JB

The stator produces ~60 volts of three phase AC voltage. Each yellow wire has ~60 volts of AC on it. The AC passes through six diodes in the Rectifier section of the Rectifier/Regulator and emerges as DC voltage much higher than the required 14 - 16 volts. The voltage regulator reduces the DC to the specified operating level by dumping excess power to ground. This is why the R/R has such a big heat sink. It is mounted to the frame to help draw away excess heat as well. In a healthy charging system, the DC voltage level is set by the voltage regulator and to a lesser extent the battery.

When there's a pull on the system it will dip down and then will start to come back up and level off. Higher revs alone on the system will not change the reading without a load.

If the system makes more than it uses, it has to dump it. The stator tries to keep the system on a healthy even keel, if you will. Think of it as having "xtra" on a needed demand at a given time.

When you're at mid to low 12's for any length of time and not gaining, coming back up, then you will have a problem. Your numbers say your system's fine.

Last edited by a moderator: